What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here are the only two that grow outdoors well for me, and both are aristolochioides hybrids. These are outdoors all year round on my deck. They've lived through freezes and 100 degree heatwaves. I water them with a hose.

First is N. ventricosa x aristolochioides, the most bulletproof nepenthes ever. I've had this on the deck for over 3 years now.
Nventxaristo4.jpg

It's constantly flowering, but I think it's too cold overall to bake good seeds, so I've stopped trying.
Nventxaristo5.jpg

it's around this time the pitchers start growing after a slow winter. Here are a few:
Nventxaristo3.jpg

The other one that's decided it likes it out there is N. truncata x aristolochioides. This was dying on me in the grow room, and I put it out here to die, basically. that was 2 years ago. For whatever reason, it's happy now.
Ntruncataxaristolochioides2.jpg

Ntruncataxaristolochioides1.jpg

Wow! I've tried growing Neps outdoors, but with less that satisfactory results... mainly because of frost. That ventricosa x aristolochioides is a monster!

Capslock said:
It's constantly flowering, but I think it's too cold overall to bake good seeds, so I've stopped trying.

Too cold to bake seeds, eh? I'd think so, considering you need heat to bake seeds. ;)

You Wouldn't Want To Take a Cutting From That Vent x Aristolochioides
Would You?
:drool:

Subliminal Message #12: YES, I Would Love To Take a Cutting For You...

Do you have any advice for growing outdoors in the bay area? I don't have any experience other than leaving my N. Alata's outside hung from a tree. Hose water eh? I'm definitely going to start doing that based on what I've been reading from people in my area.

Back