What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMG I've got a flower growing!!

• Thread starter Tilkifox
  • Start date
Hey all!
As you can probably guess, I've not been growing nepenthes all that long. Probably coming up to 18 months or so.
I don't have many, or any rare species, but I love them all just the same!
So I've just noticed that my ventricosa x (talangensis x maxima) (or it could be a ventricosa x talangensis) is growing a flower!
It's not out of its leaf yet so not sure if it's a boy or a girl but it is exciting!
Do I need to do anything different now? And at what point do you pollinate it? How long does a flower take to grow?
This is all completely new to me and I have no idea what I'm doing!
Any help/advice would be great!
Thanks 😊

Hi Bluemax, it seems incredibly complicated and very hit and miss with the seeds.
Maybe I'll just cut it off 😔

I wouldn't go so far as that. The seed are really very easy when theyre as fresh as they are from plants you collect yourself. The trades section here and FB have several places to request pollen if your plant is female or offer pollen if its male

Hi Bluemax, it seems incredibly complicated and very hit and miss with the seeds.
Maybe I'll just cut it off 😔

Well the process can be complicated, really all you need to do is just get some pollen (if yours is a female) smack it on a couple of flowers and wait. If yours is a male then the whole pollination thing doesn’t really apply. True, the seeds are very hit and miss when they’re old. If you don’t plan on sowing them recently after harvesting them then you would probably have that problem. I’d say you’d have great germination within 2 weeks of harvesting. You can extend seed shelf life by putting them in the fridge.

I agree with the others - it's worth a shot. First time flowers are always pretty special.

If it's a male I've got a female that might still be receptive when pollen is available, if you're interested.

Thanks everyone!
I would love to have a go at growing some seeds from it. I feel a bit like a proud mum!!
I would plant them straight away as I'd be too impatient to wait!
Just got to wait now and see if its a boy or a girl!

Attachments

• 20220810_055322.jpg
    20220810_055322.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220810_055400.jpg
    20220810_055400.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220810_055337.jpg
    20220810_055337.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 13
That does look like the vent x(maxima x talangensis) I've got the maxima x talangensis and it's one of my favorites..

That's looking pretty male. If you take a closer look male flowers are spherical while females are oval to almond shaped

My flower is now free of its leaf and I think its male based on what you guys have said...
I'm in the UK so if anyone has a female flower and want some pollen (when it opens) let me know 😀

Attachments

• 20220812_194604.jpg
    20220812_194604.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 8
I would not agree with male looking at that last image.

Those are ovoid, not spherical. And if they look like that immediately on opening they usually lengthen over time.

Well, my flowers are starting to open and I'm even more confused than before!
To me, they look female now rather than male...
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20220826_192735.jpg
    20220826_192735.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220826_192724.jpg
    20220826_192724.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
Yep looks female! Congratulations! @XIN actually has some pollen rn. Although, I don’t know if he would want to because he’s in the US and you’re in the UK. It would probably cost like a $/£3 to ship 2-way. Also there’s that if both parties want to factor.

Last edited:
Back