What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old pitchers

I have a silly question. My Neps are doing a fine job of growing. As there are new growths some of the old pods have become brown and withered.
My question is is ot proper to trim them off?
If so where should I cut?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ June 25 2006,5:09)]My Neps are doing a fine job of growing. As there are new growths some of the old pods have become brown and withered.
My question is is ot proper to trim them off?
If so where should I cut?
Uhh pods?? Do you mean the pitchers at the ends of the leaf tendrils? Or is that a typo and you mean parts? Generally I trim mine the same as I do VFTs. If it's brown/black I trim it off. If it's still green or just beginning to turn yellow/brown I wait.

Yes the pitchers are what I mean.
Where should I cut right at the end of the leaf or at the bottom of the tendril just before it upturns to the pitcher?

I wait until it dies back to the tendril at the base of the pitcher and then cut it. Then I trim the tendril off as it dies back. There really isn't any rule that says you have to trim the leaf when "X" much has died. Just trim what you think needs trimmed to keep it looking nice and prevent mold or fungus from getting started.

EDIT: I don't trim any off the pitcher itself as that makes it easier to accidently spill the pitcher contents when I am watering the plants.

I clip the tendril right at the leaf as soon as the pitcher has mostly browned. I leave them longer if there are fewer total pitchers on the plant and clip them sooner if there are lots of good pitchers.

Capslock

Back