What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok for a mini bog?

I want to make a mini bog for some VFTs and a small S. Leucophylla. I found a small cooler that I thought would be good for a container because since it is a cooler it protects the stuff inside (soil and roots) from heat and cold. It has a lid but I took it off. The cooler is 10.5 inches long, 7.25 inches wide, and 5.75 inches tall. Is this size container good for a mini bog?

I would say yes for the VFTs, but I think the leuco will have to be squished in.. I've heard that fully mature like it 6"-8" deep, but it'll probably do fine. You're going to have to be careful of the VFTs being invaded by the dividing leucos (even though VFTs divide themselves). I another thing is that when it's too small, you won't know because a cooler has strong walls, but you can tell in a regular plastic pot because the Rhizome actually streches the pot. I don't remember who told me, but some one said they had a pot actually split because of the growing rhizome.

Ok well I split up the VFT's, it turns out that it was four plants just planted all right next to eachother. The leucophylla is small, the tallest pitcher is less than a foot tall. The roots and rhizome aren't very big either. I got it all set up and it looks good. I'll get some pictures tomorrow when it's daytime. In the leucophylla pot, I found more than 9 drosera seedlings. I know the biggest one is a capensis. I kept 9 of them, the others I lost in the leuco's soil. They're all in a pot right now. Should I put a plastic bag over the top of the pot to increase humidity?

i dont really think high humidity is required. i think it would do better, just not required.

ps. i heard that live sphagnum as top dressing tends to increase humidity for the plant.

Yeah, I like how live sphagnum looks, but I don't know how to grow it or anything.

Back