What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Sarracenia Project Name

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

Official Sarracenia Project Name - Voice of the people...cast your VOTE!

• North American Sarracenia Conservation Society

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sarracenia National Conservancy and Preservation Society

• First National Sarracenia Conservancy

• Sarracenia Conservation and Preservation Foundation

• National Sarracenia Preservation and Conservancy Foundation

• National Conservancy of American Pitcher Plants

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes,
I voted FNSC,but agree with the comments above!

I'm with you guy's on the North American Sarracenia Conservancy name. The others are OK but this seems more concise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I could've sworn N. American Sarracenia Conservancy was suggested and received high praise in the other thread.  I would vote for that if it was up there.  Personally, none of the candidates sound good to me, the way they are.

Yeah, I was the one who suggested "NASC." It's not up there...'seems like he derived one of the listed names from "North American Sarracenia Conservancy." I think his version of the name is fantabulous. The only reason I mentioned "Conservancy" instead of "conservation society" is because a conservancy is more/less a conservation society, and "conservancy" is simpler.

Yet, somehow... life goes on.

-TC

"North American Sarracenia Conservation Society" works fine for me. I like "North American" because it is specific. Not vague like "National" or, to a lesser extent, "US"
Anyway, this was all based around creating a NATIONAL (united states based) Sarracenia collection. Call me crazy, but I think that implies that all of the plants must be... well... in the United States. Are we excluding people of other nationalities than North America from participating in the project if we call ourselves a "North American" organization? It does not seem like it.
If a grower in... say... Antwerp, Belgium wants to contribute, I am sure he/she may contribute in many different ways.

Regardless, Casper has the right to use as many combinations of the suggested terms that have been provided, and weave them together to create a logical, appropriate name (duh, we all know this). I like his choices. Nice and diverse to a point.
I am sure that if enough people cite enough reasons for changing a word or a placement of a word (or a different name), he would listen.

*POSITIVE THINKING*

-Trevor

Personally I voted for "Sarracenia Conservation and Preservation Foundation". This is not an American only project, There will be people from all over the world participating in some way towards this so in my opinion "National" and "North American" dont really fit.

Steve

Remember though, that North American does include Canada along with the US. Well...not that it makes us that much more of an International effort. But, I do think it can be an Continental North American project. There is already a Sarracenia Collection registered in the UK and many of the members here are also members of CPUK. Assistance may be aquired anywhere, but for the sake of the Organization, it's base is the homeland of the Sarracenia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is not an American only project, There will be people from all over the world participating in some way towards this so in my opinion "National" and "North American" dont really fit.

I did not imply that this was an American only project. I just said that I was under the impression that the plants would be housed and cared for in America.

CAUTION: rhetorical quesiton
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are we excluding people of other nationalities than North America from participating in the project if we call ourselves a "North American" organization?

I took "North American" to be refering to the plants and their habitat as they are found throughout the North American continent which includes Canada where S. purpurea subsp. purpurea can be found.

smile.gif

BCK

but isn't that redundant since Sarracenia is only found in North America?  
rock.gif

I haven't voted yet, but the National Conservancy of American Pitcher Plants would make a nice NCAPP. By using the name Pitcher Plant and not Sarracenia, it could also include Darlingtonia and Heliamphora.

However, Heliamphora are native to South America. I think we should keep our scope to a manageable size. But, if everyone is willing to work in Helis than I have no objective...but I'm not the one with the original inspiration and ambition for this project. I am here to help that person who was.
biggrin.gif

Lavendar,

I am not sure what you mean about North American being redundant?

I voted with the same thoughts as Steve(VFT Guy in SJ).

Regards,

Joe

OK folks...since we have had some other suggestions and thoughts on the name, this poll is being halted. We will revamp the name suggestions to meet some of the suggestions offered and repost the poll.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience but we want to make sure that we have a good set of well rounded choices so that everyone (or as many people as possible) feels comfortable voting for a particular choice.

I will post notices around when the new poll is up.

Bear with us please!

PAK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back