What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oddly shaped trap

Hey guys, this trap popped up and is pretty strange looking. I am hoping that the plant is fine, is this considered a mutation? I transplanted the plant this year after it came out of dormancy, so I'm hoping I don't have any root problems.

vft1.jpg

vft2.jpg

Last edited:
Fixed your picture links.

Deformations can happen pretty easily from stresses or from pests. If you can't see pests, then it's probably some other stress. If you keep getting deformed traps then it may be a pest that you can't see.

Cold snaps, heat excess, dessication, and other things like that can cause a developing leaf to come out funny. Keep an eye on it, if leaves keep up coming deformed, then you need to look in to how to treat whatever is causing the problem.

Welcome back!

Thanks Jim! It's been a LONG time since I've been on here....glad to be back though :)

Plants are still doing pretty well. What's new with you?

i had traps like that last year when i sprayed an insecticide...
Alex

What did you spray with so we can avoid that product?

Isotox

Isotox Formula 4 appears to be acephate and a mitecide Vendix (hexakis). Acephate is the active ingredient in Orthene which is generally safe for CPs - well at least Sarracenia AFAIK. It may have been the Vendix or some of the inactive ingredients that affected the VFT. I wish they would list what the inactive ingredients are.

Back