What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Texas CP Society

Hey everyone,

I'm testing the waters on a North Texas CP Society. I know there are a couple people on the forums that are in/close to the DFW area. I'll be moving there myself on about July 18th. Of course, everyone is welcome, and OKC isn't all too far from DFW. I'm not entirely too familiar with the DFW area, but I know there is a decent sized botanic gardens pretty close to my school's campus. There are a lot of Dallas members though, so I guess it'd be more beneficial for everyone if we met halfway in Grand Prairie. Again, I have no idea what all is out there that we could use. Ideas for possible locations appreciated.

I'd like to see if there is enough interest to make a society worthwhile and large enough to last. Anyone with any interest, please post here to show it. You can either post it here, or PM me your contact information so we can get a preliminary list going.

Thanks

Well I am very interested in it. I have wanted a CP society closer than California for a long time.

Can you PM me your email address?
Here, I can only PM 5 people at a time, which makes it hard to facilitate mass messages. Also, this thread will probably get buried, so I think an email list is probably best.

Come on! I know there are more Texas and that area people on these forums! If the meetings are held in DFW, OK, AR, and LA aren't too far away. Come on out of the woodwork :-))
I tried to PM some people by using the member search feature, but didn't PM anyone that is shown as having a last log on not in 2008. If anyone knows the other 50 or so people I didn't PM because they haven't signed on in a year or two, please get the word out. Also if you know anyone not on the forums, etc. I've posted here, and at the local cp society section at the ICPS forum as well.

Sounds good to me... although I live south of Houston, so my participation level may be rather low.

Good deal. Can I get your email address?

I think meetings every once in a while for the people in the immediate area would be good, with an annual big event would probably work best. That way, people from further out in the state can have an excuse to make the trek at least once a year ;)

George = interested :devil:

will post a decent reply tomorrow. too tired and too late...or early X_X

Helle my DFW ppl!
I am definitely interested in getting something like this going. I had searched for a cp society in the past and was shocked that no such thing yet existed. This may be the beginning of something amazing that I would gladly be a part of. I will participate however I can when Im not busy with work/college/... etc. What college are you attending Phission?

I'll be going to medical school at TCOM. I'll be less than a mile from Sundance Square, and about 3 miles from the botanic gardens.

Knuckles, any ideas for a meeting place? Perhaps you've been in Dallas for a while. I moved here last month. Man, the plants are 'sweating' it out there!

Just to give y'all an update:

It's possible we could hold the meetings at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens (FWBG) http://www.fwbg.org/. I'm going there next weekend, probably, I'll take some pictures and post them here afterwards. Phissionkorps has taken the initiative (with everything I might add) and called them: they will only charge a total of $20 for 4 hours. It's possible we could hold the meetings in the orchid room.

A tentative agenda could include a silent auction of CPs and CP-related stuff. As well as a show table for folks to show off their plants. We could also have some presentations about growing different CPs.

not to steal Phission's thunder, but is there one near Houston or Sugar Land (my permanent addy). Guess there's the Gulf Coast CP Society, right?

I know that this post is two years old but is anyone still interested in doing this or is it still going on?

Let's do this. It has to start somewhere. I'm going on vacation soon, to be back middle of October.

Let's plan on having the first meeting at my house, Sunday, October 31 at noon.

I have a greenhouse chock full of CPs, two indoor terrariums, and three aquariums (one with some aldrovanda)...hopefully enough to get everyone their CP fix. Everyone could bring some plants to show off, and depending on the number of people and the interest, we can have a silent auction...or just make some swaps. I'll definitely have some plants for sale or giveaway. I have a grill and patio area, so we can barbecue some dogs and burgers.

If you are interested in attending, PM me or email me at ponga_andreia@yahoo.com and I'll give you the address (to give you an idea of the location, it's in northeast Dallas near White Rock Lake).

Well, not a single response. Not even from the person who asked recently about getting this started again. Disappointing. I know from experience that it can be a lot of fun and rewarding to get-together (in person) with other CP growers and trade or sell plants, talk about growing tips, check out each others collections, etc. Sorry, but I don't have the energy to try this again. If anyone else wants to try, I wish you good luck.

Getting that critical mass of people & a supporting org to keep it going is a significant undertaking. Even though I know of many CP'ers who are within a comfortable drive of the NYC-area, no one has been able to get a successful society going around here. Amazing. ???

Sorry about that I didnt even know that anyone responded after me. I am still interested. I sent you a PM.

Darn, I live in San Antonio but it is a pretty good drive. Why does Texas have to be so darn big :(

Back