What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nice size plants from PFT

Heya all! almost all the rest of my plants came today!
biggrin.gif
nice plants too, i have the flytrap pak and my nepenthes gracilis! MAN! I'M TELLIN YOU! this things huge! its very young still, you can see it, and 2 new plants are forming at the bottom! its like, 3 plants in one pot! you can tell, its a nice cutting, or a very good grown specimen, but i think its a cutting. it sits in the right end of my 125 gal tank terrarium, i have to use bamboo sticks to hold it up, it came with one, i bought more
smile.gif
it almost reaches the top of my tank!!!! leaning to the side on bamboo sticks! totally awesome, if your gonna get a nep. gracilis, get em from petflytrap, simply awesome, and the fly traps are really nice too! when i can take a good picture, or pictures, ill post em to show ya's
smile.gif

ccrider
( 16 plants total in my tank now)

Glad you're happy with the plants
smile.gif
Petflytrap does a great job don't they
biggrin.gif
I love their stuff too!

glad you got and like your plants...

FYI, we don't do cuttings
smile.gif

That is a whole plant via tissue culture.

The N. gracilis get so long, they hang off the slef in the greenhouse, and then babies start to form from where it 'bends' it is pretty cool.

what you can do is prune the plant if it gets too high and plant that, it will grow and you will have more plants forming...N. gracilis likes to bush out when it can. ( from my playing with it )...since it is such a fast growing plant, it recovers quickly!
smile.gif

I have to concur; PFT does a great job! I just received my plants yesterday, and they are awesome. They are my first plants ever, if you don't count the flytraps I bought from the 5 and 10 as a kid and promptly killed...

At any rate--I have a S. leucophylla, a Ping moranensis and a flytrap. They are all now on my north-facing porch (in the sunniest area) in Dallas--and I am hoping for the best. Any recommendations about these plants that anyone could give would be heartily appreciated!!! Thanks!

(This is also my first post, so I am looking forward to reading and hearing more from everyone. Warmest regards, John)

WELCOME!!
smile.gif

The only thing I would do is shade the moranensis...Butterworts don't really care for a lot of direct lighitng.

You can put them behind the VFT and pithcer plant...just as long as they have some light, but are kept partially shaded, they should be cool
smile.gif

I hope that you learn a ton...there are many many many great people here that will do whatever they can to help out and some even offer free plants
smile.gif
( or seed )

Take care!

Congrats, I haven't gotten any plants from here yet but I hope to
wink.gif
... I have a question though. What exactly IS tissue culture. is it growing the plant from a chunk of root as apossed to a leaf or what? I've often wonderd about the precise definition.

Darcie,

It is growing plants from pieces of tissue. Small piece of tissue.

In what takes many years from seed, root cuttings, or leaf cuttings will take about 1 year with tissue culturing.
smile.gif

That is why we can offer plants all year round...they are grown all year round here!
smile.gif

Back