What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice show before succulent phase

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
Decided to get some of my larger pings for pictures.

Starting from 12 o'clock and going clockwise we have P. Titan, P. moranensis x agnata, P. pirhoutte and P. agnata. P. agnata has been a bit of a frustrating experience... it's the oldest of my pings yet it is one that has not flowered yet.

Baylorguy81

Everyone of them looks so nice!!!May I ask does P.emarginata x weser go dormant?What about P.primuflora?And how?TIA

Hi Marvin-

Thanks for the comments. Virtually all mexican pinguicula go through a succulent phase where you need to cut back on the water. Some (such as P. agnata) do not change leaves, but slow their growth. P. emarginata x weser does go through a succulent phase as far as I know. Not sure about P. primuflora (it's more of a warm temperate ping) so hopefully someone else can chime in.

with Mexi pings the majority never go into a true dormant phase, they just go from a carnivorous leaf phase to a succulent leaf phase but never stop growing.....some growers get away with not inducing a succulent phase by drying them out, i am one of them, i have some Pings that i have had for 5 or more years that have never seen a succulent phase....only downside to this is some species and hybrids only flower in the succulent phase....

Mexi's are a rough group to give advise on because how i grow them will lead to rot for some others and ive never had much luck with drying most of them out to any extent.....it is extremely rare for me to have one rot but while i keep the soil fairly wet all the time my air is pretty dry and they receive alot of air movement...

Back