What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News in brief

• Thread starter zappafan
  • Start date
WASHINGTON,DC-President Bush officially responded to the latest round of London transit bombings Monday, challenging terrorists to "do their worst." Said Bush, in a televised statement from the Oval Office: " The proud and resilient people of London can take anything the forces of evil and cowardice can throw at them. They will never live in fear of you. Bring it on." Prime Minister Tony Blair thanked Bush for his comments, inviting him to visit London and ride the Underground in a show of solidarity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zappafan @ July 27 2005,6:41)]Prime Minister Tony Blair thanked Bush for his comments, inviting him to visit London and ride the Underground in a show of solidarity.
I'm not holding my breath...
confused.gif

thats stupid. that's an invite.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 27 2005,10:29)]thats stupid. that's an invite.
true but doing nothing is an invite also. it makes them think your not going to take active measures to stop them. kind of a loose-loose situation

touche

Maybe the london cops will chase down another guy on his way to work and blow him away. I fear the boys in blue 100% more than terrorists!

Had my bum kicked by cops several times for excersizing my freedom of speech/right to protest.
smile_n_32.gif

i don't trust the popo in general either, swords. BUT sometimes we all forget that they are living, breathing, carbon-based lifeforms. i usually think of them as machines, robocops if you will. but in general i'd say most of them are good people. of course a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

the chief here is a good guy, would give yah the shirt off his back if he thought it would help. a couple of the officers here are about worthless though. one of them couldnt graduate high school because of his attitude(got his GED), before you say ppl change time, im going to be 24 soon and he is a couple years younger than me and his attitude is still the same but now he has a badge and a gun. the other idiot was picked on through school and is now a bully as a cop. the other couple officers are alright guys for the most part as far as i can tell.

your 24? adnedarn is 25? jeez ppl aren't as old as i though!

will be 24 the end of November...........for som reason every one thinks im older than i actually am.........dont know why

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 27 2005,1:18)]your 24? adnedarn is 25? jeez ppl aren't as old as i though!
26 in 2 days... lol
smile_n_32.gif
So I guess i'm getting closer to your "older than dirt" perspective of me... haha

No need to fear the boys in blue if you follow simple orders. The suspect in London was told repeatedly to stop, halt, and freeze. A week after bombings he will not stop for the police when told to do so, he was asking for it. What if he did have a bomb strapped to his chest and ended up tripping it before police shot him? The police could not take that chance. People forget the police have to make life and death choices in a split second, sometimes we make the right choice somtimes the wrong. In this situation they made the right choice. If he would have stopped he would still be alive.

wolf im on your side with the london thing. given what was happening over there why would you run from the cops if your innocent at this point in time?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ July 27 2005,4:28)]If he would have stopped he would still be alive.
I agree WolfS. Anyone has to now understand that things are different. I heard that this fellow was wearing an outsize coat, not really needed for the weather--mistake #1. Running when ordered to stop, mistake #2. Now, regardless of your status with the law, you must think twice before choosing to run these days in light of increased terrorist activities. All citizens must understand that police do not want to systematically gun down anyone, including suspected terrorists. That is why they used a stun gun for the one just caught, suspected of last week's bombings. But in hot pursuit of someone who could at will destroy more innocent citizens, a decision has to be made--fast. I couldn't do it, but blessings and many thanks to those who do.

A nation whose police are trained to shoot someone in an oversized coat who runs when ordered to stop is an oppressive place.  Especially when the behavior of some police officers gives many people a reason to run.  I have no idea whether that's as true in the UK as in the US, but mindlessly running from the police shouldn't be a capital crime anywhere.

By the way, the US population accepts a huge number of deaths on its roads - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data show 42,800 died in 2004.  That's more than a 9/11 every month.  I'm not making light of 9/11 or of terrorism in general, but I see no reason to create a militarized police state in response to terrorism if such a carnage on the roads doesn't bother us enough to sacrifice any speed or convenience.

Ooops ... I got sidetracked and forgot what I originally intended to write - Bush didn't say that. It's from The Onion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ July 27 2005,9:28)]Ooops ... I got sidetracked and forgot what I originally intended to write -  Bush didn't say that.  It's from The Onion.
That is too funny, Bruce. I also saw that the supreme court devoured Sandra Day O'Connor in a cannibalistic ritual.

I REALLY wish we could delete our own posts.... i'm so absent-minded today

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ July 27 2005,4:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 27 2005,1:18)]your 24? adnedarn is 25? jeez ppl aren't as old as i though!
26 in 2 days... lol  
smile_n_32.gif
 So I guess i'm getting closer to your "older than dirt" perspective of me... haha
Man! I am older then adnedarn!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
crap... I always want to think mods are mature people *well besides PAK and Ozzy* and subscribed to Modern Maturity.
smile_n_32.gif

Back