What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York- saving us- from ourselves!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,6:23)]Arsenic and Trans fat are not the same.. You're comparing Nightshade to frenchfries.
Oh and this....

... trans fats are poisons, just like arsenic or cyanide. They interfere with the metabolic processes of life by taking the place of a natural substance that performs a critical function. And that is the definition of a poison. Your body has no defense against them, because they never even existed in our two billion years of evolution -- so we've never had the need or the opportunity to evolve a defense against them.

woo hoo someone else on the NO TRANS bandwaggon. Nice post Andrew!

you cant legislate against stupidity..............if your that worried about trans fats GET OFF YOUR REAR AND COOK YOUR OWN FOOD!

its a waste of money doing this crap........inform the public that trans fats are bad and let them decide if they want to eat them.........heck, have we come to a desition yet as to wiether or not eggs are good for us? thats flip flopped so dang much in the last 10 years i dont remember anymore.

i cant feel sorry for any young ppl who smoke either as i know everyone under the age of 30 for sure was informed that they were bad for you and could quite likely kill you. yet ppl still choose to smoke. its their choice, who cares if they want to kill themselves. your headed farther down a very slippery slope by doing legislation such as this...............whats next? caffine..........refined sugar?

Oh okay- So If I don't really have time to cook my own food. I have to eat these transfats and such that are everywhere. Man I wish I could mannage to ALWAYS make my own food and was never running late for anything so I could do that.
I think that's the wrong way to look at it. The public has made it known they want transfat gone. I keep hearing about differnt fast food places (here at least) working on doing away with transfats. Once we have some places that don't have them and places that do have them... I'm sure that will help those that do have them do away with them. (less buisness i'd bet) be it that, or be it a law that makes transfats illegal. If they're gone. I'll be ahppier. (and healthier, bottom line.)

Trans-fats are undoubtedly the vilest thing to hit food since monosodium glutamate (MSG). According to the best science, they raise the levels of bad cholesterol, lower the levels of good cholesterol and generally mess with your body, contributing to obesity, heart disease and diabetes. They have absolutely no known benefits and yet are intentionally added to foods — they're made when manufacturers add hydrogen to vegetable oil to increase its shelf life and make it taste less greasy.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"It's as if somebody were adding arsenic to hamburger mix,"
says Walter Willett, trans-fat guru and professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. (spot on endperenthesis- did you get that from that quote?)

Just five grams of trans-fats per day increases your chances of a heart attack by 25%. And five grams isn't all that much. A large serving of McDonald's fries has about 8 grams of trans-fats. Your daily chocolate croissant from Starbuck's has six.

Heart disease is New York City's leading cause of deaths. And by the most conservative estimate, getting rid of trans-fats would save about 500 lives in New York each year

theres always Subway.....................

personally, i cant stand the smell of McDonalds and similar but i have been known to eat at Arby's on a semi regular basis....................

YOUR answer to cutting trans fats out of YOUR diet is to have the government make them illegal...........seems like backwards thinking to me.....its your desition to put the stuff in your body

saving 500 lives a year seems like a good trade-off to me.

making ppl walk instead of drive cars will save how many more........outlawing junk food will prevent how many cases of diabetes..............where does it end? its supposed to be a free country, should be your choice to do what you wish to your own body. unfortunatly the majority of the ppl in this country seem to be un able to buck up and take that responsibility and insist the guberment do it for them..............its a shame

Rattler, have you honestly gone through your pantry? Do you use any ready made foods? canned foods? do you really use fresh everythings for every meal? Look through them. Does it say zero transfats? If it does, now look and see if it says partially hydrogenated oils or wholly hydrogenated oils then it contains transfats. AT LEAST make it so we know when we're eating it. did you read what I wrote about how they hide it? It's already been attempted and failed to be able to inform the public when they're eating transfats. Beacuse the companies want to be able to contenue giving it to us. If they don't want to appropriatly inform us of what we're eating. Then ban it. and that's the step we're at IMHO.

This step seems like a dead-end to me. A ban like this can only exist in New York- or San Fran
tounge.gif

didnt say i dont use them.........but im not the one screaming im being poisoned either.

the companies are being allowed to do it because we allow our government to let them. "we" screamed about how bad the natural oils were for us and didnt want them in our food, so they changed oils.......sounds to me like this country got what they asked for. there isnt a person on this board who wont admit that the system is screwed up and the guberment is corupt yet everyone shruges their shoulders and does nothing. sure its fun to blaim the party in power but in alreality, deep down, we know electing the other guy isnt going to fix anything....................cant see where banning trans fats will help, the next thing in line to replace them, they will find out 5 or 10 years down the road causes cancer or weakens the immune system.......it aint going to end.........if it really and truely bothers you the ONLY way to avoid this kind stuff is to raise your own food so you know what goes into it........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 08 2006,6:40)]YOUR answer to cutting trans fats out of YOUR diet is to have the government make them illegal...........seems like backwards thinking to me.....its your desition to put the stuff in your body
What about punishing businesses for sneaking poison into the food they sell? Isn't that a criminal act?

If it was a poison with a stigma, there'd be outrage, boycotts, and a thread on this forum entitled "Someone needs to do something about these restaurants!"

if trans fat is infact a poison than the current laws should handle it..........you dont need a whole new specific law to deal with it. your just adding red tape to an already f-ed up process which is only going to screw things up worse.......mass boycotting of buisnesses that use it will get quicker results and do more good................

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 08 2006,7:14)]if trans fat is infact a poison than the current laws should handle it..........you dont need a whole new specific law to deal with it. your just adding red tape to an already f-ed up process which is only going to screw things up worse.......mass boycotting of buisnesses that use it will get quicker results and do more good................
It would be fine by me for the current laws to handle it.

I quoted HOW transfats are like arsnic in the way they work and the way the affect the body. Why is it not covered under the same law? Heck, I dunno. Covered under that law.... A new law... Whatever works.
Here is the quote from my previous post:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,6:23)
Arsenic and Trans fat are not the same.. You're comparing Nightshade to frenchfries.

Oh and this....

... trans fats are poisons, just like arsenic or cyanide. They interfere with the metabolic processes of life by taking the place of a natural substance that performs a critical function. And that is the definition of a poison. Your body has no defense against them, because they never even existed in our two billion years of evolution -- so we've never had the need or the opportunity to evolve a defense against them.

Edit: Maybe we just need to wait for us to evolve against them. If nothing is going to be done. By then it may be too late. But oh well, it's our fault for asking for a better food substitute. (?)

Why do we need to make substitutes and artificial foods? Things are organic for a reason aren't they? Aren't all the "good" drugs found in the rain forest's? I don't think they find trans fat in trees or shrubs..

Alas I still eat the food its pretty good.
tounge.gif

If trans fats are banned or if they're taxed to eliminate their few pennies of cost advantage, then manufacturers will replace them with less risky ingredients.  Costing society almost nothing while improving health.  That's a perfectly appropriate thing for government to do.  And far more likely to work than any hoped for coordinated action by millions of individuals whose knowledge about food choices comes from advertising.  Government tells people they can't drill their well in the middle of their septic system and won't let them give their babies bourbon.  Yes, it's a heinous trampling of individual rights, but it's better than any alternative.

There are ALL KINDS of food regulations, and this is just another one. It's not like they're breaking new Constitutional ground here.

It's unreasonable to think that people are able to know all about every ingredient in every food. Suppose you buy a food item, and on the label is "dichromium sulfide" (I made that up). Is that safe to give your kids? Who knows? That's why we have an FDA, to regulate the foods that are put into the open market so that consumers can have some confidence that they aren't being poisoned. Turns out trans-fats ARE poison, and worse, the only reason to use them is that it's cheaper for food manufacturers. It's not like they're banning anything that people are clamoring for - in fact, most people have no idea what trans fats are or how dangerous they are. We're not talking about just "fat" here, but a man-made fatty product for which the body is essentially unprepared. And it's in your dinner tonight! Maybe! You don't know, since ingredient lists and nutrition labels are not offered at most restaurants.

Personally, I'd like to be able to go to a restaurant, and not demand ingredient lists and nutrition labels on every item to make sure I'm not being poisoned.

I'm a social libertarian, but you have to balance public safety against personal choice, and in this case I'm not sure who wants trans-fats, except food manufacturers looking to save a few pennies. They're just a menace, and one for which there are abundant, safe alternatives. It doesn't have to be healthy, but your dinner shouldn't be poison!

Capslock

i just find it funny.........we went to vegitable oils and trans fatty acids and all that crap because butter and lard were bad.......now we are going the other way............if yah want to fry something do it in butter or lard, they aint good for yah but they are better than the alternative that we told yah to switch to X number of years ago. government intervention is rarely a good thing........the FDA approved the trans-fats in the begining didnt they?

kinda along the same lines of my hunting thread.......the ppl crying over me killing a deer to eat are the same ones who are worried about hormones in their beef or mad cow disease............safe meat and cheap meat arent terribly compatible, especially if you dont want to do the work yourself.

Trial and error. What about the freon in your home and car AC? R-12 known to deminish our ozone. and is now illegal to be made and you must be licensed to deal with it. the new R-134 stuff.. is it better? Nobody knows. They're still working on that. If it turns out it is worse than R-12 we should stick with R-134 because we made them go to it? No, they'd come up with something new to try... OR go back to R-12. Same here. It didn't work. Make something new. Or go back to the old stuff. At least our bodies know what to do with that old stuff.

Back