What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New website for mantids

• Thread starter VFT
  • Start date
Just what I need, another time consuming hobby LOL. Really like the ghosts... Maybe one day...

I have been dying to get some Mantids. I have been stalking the mantid forum to learn as much as I can. I'm worried I would be too sad when they died though....and I'm not sure I need more pets...or crazy hobbies.

The orchid mantis is the best!

It's too bad they harvest Oothicas from the wild for the cup-o-mantis, though.

Chinese mantids are an invasive so harvest away.

The orchid mantis is the best!

It's too bad they harvest Oothicas from the wild for the cup-o-mantis, though.

Oh ok, then that's good!

Come on! Its all about :hail:Idolomantis:hail:

Could a mantis live in a CP terrarium? I'm going to get a 40 gallon breeder tank (sometime) for them. Would it be too bright or humid?

Yes, the conditions in a terrarium may be suitable for most mantids… especially the more exotic species. The humidity will aid Ecdysis (molting) too. The one problem is that mantids will eat each other. So, when using your CP terrarium you will only be able to place 1 individual inside of it. Oh yeah, also watch out for the obvious... don't let your plants eat your insects!

Many of the breeders that I know don’t use a terrarium larger than 15 gallons when attempting to mate a pair. I use a large Critter Keeper for breeding in the summer, but the mantid species I keep is kind of on the small side…

Im probably getting Parasphendale agrionina

Back