What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Nepenthes

I currently own a medium sized (unknown species) nepenthes I bought from lowes a few months ago, it is doing great and I am interested in a buying a few more. Do I need a special type of lighting though, I keep mine on a windowsill and he does fine. I give it RO water every other day. I've seen several small gnats in the plastic terrarium it is in, I assume he eats those, I have yet to feed him myself. Anything else I need to do? thanks.

Light is pretty easy to provide. If you want to supplement the light you get on your window then any type of florescent would work. T8's, T5's, and CFL's will all work. Besides that all you need is to consider your temperatures. If its warm year round you could consider growing some lowland species. If your nights are cool even in the summer highland species will work.

If your windowsill doesn't have enough space to accommodate several very large plants while giving them at least 4 hours of direct sun a day (or its equivalent), you'll want to supplement; as Grey Moss mentioned T8 and T5 shoplight fixtures will do fine, just make sure it's a set that provides relatively high lumen output (if you can afford it, LED fixtures are even better because they don't amp up the heat). Temperature (and secondarily a decent relative humidity) are the next concern, as while intermediate and easy highland species do fine in most household conditions, true highlanders and lowlanders need environmental supplements to meet their needs, either by upping both temperature and humidity, or dropping nighttime temps.
The gnats you are seeing are probably fungus gnats, and Nepenthes generally don't attract or trap them in any notable manner; while they're harmless to larger plants, the larvae eat roots and will destroy small plants and seedlings.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to keep your Neps outside for some parts of the year too. If you want Neps that will do well indoors, hybrids are your best bet, especially those bred for the mass market (Lady luck, ventrata, suki, etc.)

I've never had good luck with the little terrarium enclosed Nepenthes from Lowes. Couldn't get them to produce the larger more interesting pitchers. I don't know what the humidity is like at your location/home but it might be better off outside the terrarium. If you're worried about gnat larvae eating roots then you can repot the plant. If I remember correctly the CPs from Lowes are in milled sphagnum moss. In my limited experience Neps seem to grow better planted in long fiber sphagnum moss or a mix including that.

Back