What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New terrarium

Less than a week ago I went out to a local aquarium/pet store and bought materials needed to make a new terrarium. THe terrarium is now complete and I thought it was 10 times better than my old one that only had 1 flurescent light above it but it doesn't seem like my CPs are happier at all. I think the lights may be a problem. Here are the lights I bought-
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx
I have two of them above the terrarium and I have completely wrapped the terrarium in aluminum foil with a 14-hour photoperiod. Are these the right bulbs or did I majorly mess up?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 03 2006,8:45)]Less than a week ago I went out to a local aquarium/pet store and bought materials needed to make a new terrarium. THe terrarium is now complete and I thought it was 10 times better than my old one that only had 1 flurescent light above it but it doesn't seem like my CPs are happier at all. I think the lights may be a problem. Here are the lights I bought-
http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product....00.aspx
I have two of them above the terrarium and I have completely wrapped the terrarium in aluminum foil with a 14-hour photoperiod. Are these the right bulbs or did I majorly mess up?
Those put out alot less light than most cp need. Try some compacts like this.These produce lots of light and don't produce much heat.
http://www.topbulb.com/find....E_49800

But those are only 5000k, the ones I have are 10,000k. That doesn't seem like their more powerful to me. They're also more expensive. x_x Is it the wattage I should be looking at?

I did read the terrarium lighting thread that is pinned but I couldn't make a lot of sense out of most of it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Jan. 03 2006,9:04)]But those are only 5000k, the ones I have are 10,000k. That doesn't seem like their more powerful to me. They're also more expensive. x_x Is it the wattage I should be looking at?

I did read the terrarium lighting thread that is pinned but I couldn't make a lot of sense out of most of it.
10,000K is generally too high for most cp to grow well.5,000K is around the color spectrum you should be looking at for growing plants. You should be looking at LUMENS for the brightness. The higher the lumens, the brighter the light output from bulb.

Ugh... well I hope I can return these bulbs that I bought...

Are the lights in that link the ones you use?

I was under the impression that the higher the k, the better.

I'll see about returning the old lights tomorrow and ordering the new ones ASAP. How long do you think my CPs can handle the lights I have now?

They will grow ok for a few weeks to a few months.  I use 2 of those 55 Watt compact fluorescents to light my 10 gallon terrarium.My B.liniflora Loves the 55 watt compact fluorescents.
smile_m_32.gif

Cool. Thanks for all the info. I just really hope That Fish Place lets me return the bulbs I bought.

About the CRI (the 10,000k you see): CP's like things around 3000-5000k.

-D. Lybrand

Woo hoo! I just got an email back from That Fish Place and they willtake back my bulbs since I still have the original packaging and the reciept. I'll probably take them back tomorrow if I can get the replacement bulbs by then as well.

Believe those who say it: compact fluorescents work wonders!

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Believe those who say it: compact fluorescents work wonders!

Amen! I use about 80% compacts throughout my setup and they are great
smile.gif

I use the $10 compact flours from Fluorex...they're 65 watts, 6500K and give off over 6000 lumens. I don't remember the exact measurement at the moment, but they're really bright. The plants do much better for me under those than under cool white 4' bulbs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The plants do much better for me under those than under cool white 4' bulbs.

Interesting. I'll have to ask you more about your setup at the next NECPS meeting.

Back