What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pvc Greenhouse

Thought I might share some pics of my newly built Greenhouse thats located in my bad yard(messy I know...)
100_1200.jpg

100_1199.jpg

100_1198.jpg

100_1197.jpg

100_1196.jpg

Its 6'x9', the frame is built out of scheduled 40, 1in pvc and the siding is made out of corrugated pvc roofing panels. The base is made out of 4 8' landscape timbers. The floor is made out of 2'x2' paver. I havent finished up the floor yet but I will when this really hot weather goes. Was wondering if I needed some shade cloth, if I do what %(have no clue). Im hoping to get a couple more shelves and alot more plants:banana2:

Questions/comments Welcomed.

Great job, im going to build a hoop house out of pvc soon too.

What happens in the winter? I'd love something like this....

Did you build this from a kit/plans, or did you do it all yourself? It looks like it was done very well. I've been wanting a greenhouse, but still haven't found the cheapest and most efficient route (I've just been looking for used greenhouses in classifieds and stuff). Are you going to add cooling/heating to it?

I've heard shading should be around 50-70%. but I have no actual experience with it.

Thanks for the comments. Everything is built from scratch. Had alot of help from my father who is very handy. I dunno about winter yet, I hope that the siding wont be brittle and crack. In the plans they used that polyurethane stuff but I knew I was going to replace it sometime in the future. Im thinking of heating it during the winter not sure. Forgot to put the price tag on all the materials, it came around $375(alot in those panels).

An update, finished the floor and added a fan.
100_1204.jpg

100_1203.jpg

:-O oh! nice greenhouse and great dad.
375$!! that's cheap to me. (I wish I could find a place here to build greenhouse. )
perhaps you can put a pot of water inside with increase humidity.
anyway that's great! my friend.

Thank you duckking, I havent checked the humidity level yet in there but when i spray the hose in there it gets very humid in there. Would a thing of water increase the humidity alot?

Thanks for the comments. Everything is built from scratch. Had alot of help from my father who is very handy. I dunno about winter yet, I hope that the siding wont be brittle and crack. In the plans they used that polyurethane stuff but I knew I was going to replace it sometime in the future. Im thinking of heating it during the winter not sure. Forgot to put the price tag on all the materials, it came around $375(alot in those panels).

Where did you get the plans? I would be interested in them.

Thank you duckking, I havent checked the humidity level yet in there but when i spray the hose in there it gets very humid in there. Would a thing of water increase the humidity alot?

Effectively, I think it won't increase a lot. but it's also a cheap way to keep humid.
Auto watering system is the best! like this>link
If you maintain high humidity, you will have very beautiful pitcher.:-D

Thanks for the link, thats something I would totally look into when I get an RO unit. The problem is I live in New York and the winters get pretty bad around here, im kind of thinking about heating it but I think its to small for any kind of heater. So...that kinda restricts what I can grow in there.

Is there an air vent in it?

Thanks for the link, thats something I would totally look into when I get an RO unit. The problem is I live in New York and the winters get pretty bad around here, im kind of thinking about heating it but I think its to small for any kind of heater. So...that kinda restricts what I can grow in there.

Do you think it's pretty well insulated as far as greenhouses go, i.e. maintains temperature? I live in a place that doesn't quite get as cold, and only drops below freezing very occasionally during winter, and I want to grow Nepenthes. I would definitely want a heater, and am considering this design.

(From the looks of it, you replaced the Polyethylene Film Cover with something more heavy duty?)

Is there an air vent in it?
Well I leave the door open wile the fan blows for ventilation, was wondering how I could make vents on the roof?
Do you think it's pretty well insulated as far as greenhouses go, i.e. maintains temperature?
Well all the siding and roofing is made out of that corrigated stuff that not even an inch thick, was thinking of putting up some foam insulation on the sides if I did heat it.

How long did it take you and your Dad to assemble this? I'm thinking of using the plans myself and may ask my dad for help since he offered to help me with a greenhouse one day. Also, how stable is it for occassional high wind gusts in summer and winter storms around 45 mph? Are you happy with it overall and would you recommend this greenhouse to others?

Thanks,

V

If you have all the supplies at hand, I would say 1 week. If you use the 4 landscape timbers and the nails I used it shouldnt move anywere! Its very sturdy, this winter all the snow just fell off the roof which was a good thing. I would definitly recommend this, the only problem iv had was with ventilation but fixed that when I just left the door open with a fan blowing from the other end. Good luck if you decide to do it, was a great learning experience.

Looks really cool, but I'd be really worried about wind!

Looks like one of those Harbor freight greenhouses!

i know this is an old old post but whatever happened to your greenhouse jay? how did you solve the ventilation, winter and humidity things? I'm planning on making one after the Army

Back