What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Pots!

lizasaur

Charlatan
So I just got new pots for the grand repotting that is taking place tomorrow.
I'm just wondering if I should wash them out first, and if I should use regular water or RO water? They're definitely new. Just..eh. Dunno.

They say you should always wash anything new, plastic cups, water dishes, plastic foodies, plant pots, new aquariums, etc. I never have, just laziness I guess. From what I can tell I've never had any deaths that I could attribute to not washing out new stuff. So basically if you feel like it go for it.

I say washed the used stuff over new, unless it wasn't wrapped and people could've rubbing their boogers on it o_O

But that's good to know. Thank you :D

I guess that depends what you mean by washed? I'm always afraid of leaving any residue from soap, so don't use it. Usually 10% bleach solution and rinse well, as it disinfects better then soap anyway. However, it's unnessary if they are brand new. Worst thing that's on them? dust and bacteria that will be on the pot again the second you are done washing it.

Rinsed with plain water. I never bring soap into anything, and since I'm into aquaculture and herps, I use the bleach solution when reusing tanks/enclosures, but that's the only time. Using it in gardening is still quite alien to me n.n"
Yeah, they're brand new, for tomorrow's grand repotting. I realized most of my pots are used and I can't identify where I got most of them, or what was in them previously, so there'll be prime water (carefully monitored RO), fresh peat, but fresh pots so there can't be any kind of leeched fertilizers or anything.
I'm willing to acknowledge that lack of sun may be contributing to my plants decline, but they do get atleast 8 hours of direct sun, despite the oak trees. I'll actually be putting wheels on the table they live on to ease moving it across the deck to allow maximum sun exposure as the seasons change. But it's been terribly overcast for the past 3 weeks, which has only made things harder.
But the presence of rove beetles indicates that my peat is breaking down, big time.

Back