What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ping/petiolaris tank.

So it came time to move the small GH outdoors for the sarrs and dews. I picked up a tank and stand yesterday with my new CP's while up north at John & Tracey's, so I decided to use it for my pings and petiolaris dews. Here's a few pics of what it looks like after getting it setup.
The lower level of the tank is filled with water for humidity, just FYI.

Last edited:
Nice color on the dews! I just moved mine much closer to the lights and they started to color up almost immediately.

Nice color on the dews! I just moved mine much closer to the lights and they started to color up almost immediately.

Thank you, but I fear I may lose some of the vibrant colors since they are much lower from the lights than before. I need to find something I can use to raise them up a bit more. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Last edited:
Looks similar to my terrarium setup. Very nicely arranged! The butterworts need seasonal changes, though.

what sort of temperatures are you getting in that thing? And thats a large water-for-humidity reservoir. I know I'd be tempted to have some fish living in there...

Looks similar to my terrarium setup. Very nicely arranged! The butterworts need seasonal changes, though.

Thank you.. I got really tired at the end of the assembly. Took a few hours to fill enough RO jugs to fill the bottom section up. I still have a lot of repotting and arranging to do.
What I do for seasonal on these guys is move them into the HL GH on Thanksgiving. I put them under the table near the AC and forget about them until Valentine's Day. No water no nothin'..

what sort of temperatures are you getting in that thing? And thats a large water-for-humidity reservoir. I know I'd be tempted to have some fish living in there...

OMG you read my mind! :lol: I really want something swimming around down there. But honestly, fish aren't my strong point.
Right now it's 80* and 80%. The large fan in the small space helps keep everything in check. The one thing that really worries me though is this is a brand spankin' new house. And we haven't been able to get the central air installed yet. So on those brutally hot days.. it get's unbearable in here. I think I may just pick up a window unit today.. since that'd better than nothing.

A cold window sill does well by them... temps that get into the 40's. They need cold and dry conditions as they transition from fall into winter. However, is you take leaf cuttings and propagate from that approach, you can keep them in the terrarium until the following fall.

I normally experience disaster when keeping Mexican pings outside, but this year I tried using a container with holes on the perimeter, ~1" from the bottom. I have perpetual overflow / drowning protection. I also have them under a tray of sundews to keep them from going into shock.
014.jpg

007.jpg

A cold window sill does well by them... temps that get into the 40's. They need cold and dry conditions as they transition from fall into winter. However, is you take leaf cuttings and propagate from that approach, you can keep them in the terrarium until the following fall.

I've got a 3 year old and 2 cats, so windowsill growing is a no no out here. They do fine under the HL tables with no watering. Nice and cool all winter long.. ;)
I saw those pics, they look pretty darn good!

:0o:

That...is....AWESOME :laaa:

suite

very nice installation.

but for the dormancy these condition are not ideal, too wet with a risk of rot

like 'in situ' the mexican specie have need of dry period from november to may and a wet period from june to october.

for me this is not a species of terra , they need air , natural light and insects.

jeff

Jeff: How cold can Mexican pings tolerate for the winter?

suite

I am careful not to fall below 5 ° c.

lower on some tests,the hybrids have killed here .

jeff

They only stay in the tank during growing season Jeff. From Nov.-Feb. they are in the HL GH dry as a bone.

Back