What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pet bat - Bitey!

• Thread starter MrFlyTrap2
  • Start date
So cool! I dig bats special! Once when I was a kid I was walking into the magazine/comic shop with my mom and a whole flock of bats were roosting on the wall of the shop which was built of some fancy bricks that had large recesses in it. They were very small about 3-4" all snuggled up. I thought it was a bunch of moths at first. I asked my mom if I could capture one to bring home but needless to say she didn't care much for the idea. Nowadays I might do it if the opportunity presented itself (I've never seen anything like that again) but I'd probly get rabies in the process!

Will bats kept as pets learn to eat crickets? I mean the ones around here in MN eat mosquitos and stuff don't they? Running a mosquito hatchery in the tub doesn't sound so hot!:D

The zoo I like to visit, and who's curator I know, used to have a bat exhibit. The exhibit was there, and the bats weren't last I was there.

There was no glass between the bats and the visitors, but rather a wall made up of closely spaced monofilament line strung vertically. It was a really nice exhibit. It had sculpted cave-like walls, floor, and ceiling and was kept quite dark. There were never any flying insects present; mosquitoes or otherwise. So they had to be fed something else. I just have never asked what. Until you brought it up, I never even thought of it.

Like most wildlife, bats do not do well in captivity. Most die within the first year of captivity vs their full life span in the wild. They are social animals, have very active life styles, and intense daily dietary requirements.

While they are considered by some to be a rabies vector animal, less than 1% of their population is actually infected. And as anything coming from the wild, it will naturally have all types of horrible things on it as well.

When we take in a baby raccoon at the shelter, the first step is to remove all the ticks from within their ears, eyes and toes. I usually stop counting after the 30th tick. I've also seen rabbits with fleas pouring out of them, and even watched a baby bird be devoured by mites within 2 mins of it entering the office.

(and I only work there on saturdays!)

In general is always best to live in harmony with the animals around us, and let them live happily out side as well.

If you want the chance to see crazy critters, volunteer at your local wildlife rehab center. Trust me, you'll be happy, tired, and enjoy leaving them there until next week.

-Nate

I couldn't even dream of keeping bat with my two young cats, they'd make short work of a bat, bird or sugar glider. I know cos they kill birds sleeping on the roof at night and deliver them under the dining room table periodically throughout the year! :D

herenorthere, you have a bat SHORTAGE?

Man, we have TONS of bats here in southern NY. We love to watch them dive and dart in the evening.

Once I got there, my roommate was making some food in the kitchen and made the "sshhh" pointing motion to the window.
Good move pointing and not whispering. I hear these guys have pretty good hearing. LOL

Back