What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New N.Alata

I've bought a N.Alata a few days ago and heard that you can put water in empty pitchers.
Is this a good idea?

Sure you can, but in my experience, it doesn't do anything good or bad.

Yes, i would fill the pitcher about half way. it keeps the pitcher alive longer IMO and keeps the lid from drooping.
Are you sure this is an N. alata and not an N. xVentrata?

Yes,at first I thought it was x ventrata,but I then checked and figured out it was Alata.

Unless you bought it as N. alata specifically from a reputable CP nursery, I can be 99.99% sure what you have is N. Ventrata. Can you give any further information on the plant?

Putting water in the pitchers will help the plant acclimate better to your growing environment. The plant is able to absorb the water if needed to help it adjust to conditions that may be lower in humidity, a warmer temperature range, or to let the roots recover from shipping damage or repotting. I would avoid feeding the plant though as the water will cause the food to get moldy and kill the pitchers. Once the plant makes new pitchers that are acclimated to your growing environment they will have their own fluid from the plant and you shouldn't need to add water and can feed the plant if you like.

Well,in the place i bought this nepenthes the guys has been selling tropical and carnivorous plants before
(Passiflora,Sarracenia,Nepenthes,Mimosa,Heliamphora,particlular Orchidea etc.),so they pretty much know
which is which.They told me it was alata

yes, but there is a place that labels it Alata when in fact it is ventrata. I know, I sell those myself. They come from Deroose Nurseries, and if you bought it big in a hanging basket with instructions to fill the pitchers with water, you got a Deroose Alata which is not a true alata.

The instructions to fill the pitchers with water is because when the plant gets moved water spills out and if you don't add some back in, the pitchers will dry up prematurely. Don't fill half the pitcher, fill each pitcher about 1/2 inch. And do it only this once, or whenever you have moved the plant or had water spill out for any reason. At other times I wouldn't do it because you know that the pitchers already have the fluid in them when they open.

Back