What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Mexico Growers?

• Thread starter Monkey
  • Start date
I was wondering if anyone on the forums is from New Mexico, or even West Texas. I would really like to get to know some of the more local growers if there re any.

I spent a few years back in the late 1980's, early 1990's keeping my CP collection in a greenhouse in my backyard in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Shortly before then I was growing CP and other plants in Las Cruces, New Mexico, where I was a student of horticulture at NMSU.

Waaaahhhh!!! That's me!

So there's actually someone else in this state that grows CPs? Please do tell about how you grow your plants!

I have had the greatest success with Nepenthes growing on my windowsill, but I've had success with seedlings and such in terrariums, too.

I have found that these plants love the New Mexico sunlight just as much as I do: It's great through the windows... nice and cozy. But putting them outside all day gives them baaad sunburn. ;p

@ Mr. Clemens - how was the horticulture program at NMSU? I've always wondered if anyone in New Mexico actually tackled CPs with great fervor. The only one I've read about was a pretty successful Flytrap grower, but I haven't seen anything about this person recently. And how did you set up a greenhouse? I always thought it would be impractical during the summer, but maybe I can start considering that!

I currently have all of my plants in a terrarium next to a large window. You're right about how much sun you can get in windows here. May I ask what part of New Mexico you're from?

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Actually I just found out that the prolific VFT grower you may be speaking of lives right here in town. I'm going to go see his greenhouse tomorrow :)

Oh, I forgot to mention... I'm in Alamogordo! Haha.

Well I'm glad to hear he's still around! I'd love to know about your impressions after you visit him. :)

Alamogordo? Yikes and I thought I had humidity issues.

Yeah! Not only is it super dry... but the dust from the mountains and White Sands blows everywhere, too! Outdoor growing is rather difficult. And the snow for the past few winters has been rough too. That's why I only grow windowsill CPs at the moment.

Back