What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New mail order ping in mild distress

I ordered a Pinguicula moctezumae in the mail. It's a little bit sad looking. I took a leaf that had roots attached from the P. moctezumae and stuck that pulling in my Aphrodites pot, and another leaf came loose during potting so I have back ups in WCS.
I potted it up in peat and pumice with dolomite added. It's under a growlight. I was wondering if anyone has tips on special treatment for a ping in this condition?

Thanks!

Last edited:
All I can say is P.moctezumae is a pretty easy ping. I'd keep it a bit more humid than normal while it recovers. Also I have found that P.moctezumae prefers it's soil to be close to wet at all times. I keep mine in a well drained pot and water it daily. It's a heavy feeder too and will start to shrink when it blooms if not kept fed. Freeze dried bloodworms are great for this.

Last edited:
All I can say is P.moctezumae is a pretty easy ping. I'd keep it a bit more humid than normal while it recovers. Also I have found that P.moctezumae prefers it's soil to be close to wet at all times. I keep mine in a well drained pot and water it daily. It's a heavy feeder too and will start to shrink when it blooms if not kept fed. Freeze dried bloodworms are great for this.

Is it bad to fertilize it if it hasn't got it's feet under it or will it pick things up?

I'd wait till new growth is evident. Plants generally don't like being fed right after transplanting.

hello..

I dont understand if your ping is a P 'moctezumae' or a p X 'aphrodite'....
i have p X 'aphrodite' since a long time and its a very nice and easy hybrid to grow...
my substrat is 100% perlite, with something like 6 centimeters high for the pot wich is full only with perlite...
i always let the pot in 1 centimeter high tap water .... and the pot is just behind a window with only sun light...
i never had any matters.... and when i take a leaf and put her on the substrat, it always give me young plants after max 2 weeks...
I hope it could help you..

Sorry! That wasn't worded well. I meant that I took a pulling from the P. moctezumae and put it in a pot with an 'Aphrodite' plant that I have. The mother (moctezumae) plant is potted up on its own. It's actually growing like a weed now and seems to really appreciate fertilization. Thanks for the help everybody!

Back