What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new little ones

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
These hatched over Easter. There are 9 pure Tomaru (from a friend's 2002 legal imports from Germany via Switzerland) and 6 of my reconstructed line. I had a barrier set up in the incubator nearly up to the heating element, but the gangly little rascals jumped it. Now I have no idea who's who.

A friend said next time use an upside down container over them, the open bottom on the grid will provide enough air flow.

The lone different one in the immediate foreground is a Tuzo.

chicks.jpg

A few even have black faces and combs like they are split for the fibromelanistic trait. :banana2: The Japanese standard calls for Tomaru to be black from face to toe at maturity after the chick spots are lost.

japanese-tomaru-standard.jpg

In case you're wondering, this is what a Tomaru is. They sing. LOL

http://homepage2.nifty.com/choumeikei-chabo/toumaru.html

This is my line's grandfather:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7nVaKwaMJ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7nVaKwaMJ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The rooster I have now has the prized beautiful undulating two-tone voice, but I've not gotten him on tape yet.

Wowsers. Tell me that noise won't wake you up in the morning, and I don't know what else could.

Darling looking chicks!

Very neat! Will you be able to tell the ones that hopped the fence apart when they get older?

In case you've never eaten one, they taste like alligator.

I wouldn't call that singing :0o:

Wowsers. Tell me that noise won't wake you up in the morning, and I don't know what else could.

LOL Can't hear them out at the barn unless the house windows are open.

Darling looking chicks!

Aren't they though. :)

Will you be able to tell the ones that hopped the fence apart when they get older?

I think so, but who knows. I thought I could now, but they all look the same. I thought the ones with more bits of white would be mine, but the number of them and egg shells do not correspond. So even the pures have those patches as well. I had to rework the line because the pures only had 15-20% hatchability from being inbred before import. I used two related breeds and bred back to fix them up. Mine pretty much look and sound pure now, but have 85% hatchability. The crow and double lung capacity is a simple recessive trait that can vary in degree of expression. So it's not difficult to get back from a cross. F2s express it and then you just keep breeding the best to intensify it.

I've never had one, but that's what culls are for, right?

I wouldn't call that singing :0o:

Well they have the Koeyoshi beat. LOL

http://homepage2.nifty.com/choumeikei-chabo/koeyosi.html

They try to keep their mouth shut. LOL There aren't any of those in the US though. :(

Ok. :) $50 per doz of eggs, S&H via Priority Mail included.

Or, chicks $5 each straight run with a minimum of 15 for warmth in transit, plus next or second day air service by USPS.

Genetic outcome will vary.

Proven adults when I have extras will be $300 ea, plus next day air service.

It's a very personable breed. They follow you around like puppies, constantly under your feet or at your side when outdoors or while you're in the pen.

Lol, it would be cool to have one, but that doesn't mean I should get one. Too much going on around here now.

Yep a crowing rooster is exactly, what I need in my condo!

I'd just like to see the neighbors faces when it starts doing that first thing in the morning.:D

Charge them for wake-up calls. :-))

... in my condo!
Don't people being that nearby annoy you? I could never live like that. I'd end up being a suspect in a disappearance case. LOL That's why you wear that mask and hood isn't it. One neighbor too many became too much of a pain. LOL j/k

To each their own I suppose.

lol, I chicken egg(s) would be an interesting NASC donation.

If they were for eating, I'd send mutt eggs. If for hatching, then the real thing of course. These are too rare to eat.

A pack of the long-tails' raw frozen feed I give them once a week would make an interesting thing too. You know, just to see what it tastes like for curiosity. LOL It's perfectly edible, but you may want to cook it first. Anyone up for trying a mix of hard boil eggs with shell, brown rice, rolled oats, raw pollock, cranberries, and green cabbage? LOL

Or maybe the promise of a long tail feather from a long-tail bird at whatever point one looses one? Someone could really pimp out a hat with one of those. LOL

rofl

Those chicks are SO cute! They will be beautiful when they grow up. Chicks and ducklings are just so sweet.

Back