What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New hamata awesome teeth!

Hey guys just wanted to update you all on my nepenthes addiction so I just got a new hamata check it out!

X5WsXad.jpg

NlIZ81p.jpg

I also got my plants under a new setup so they could get more light and so far its worked great on all my other plants as they've shown a lot of progress for just having the light 3 days. Humidifier should be here tomorrow so that way I could take my plants out those ugly plastic bags :D will do another update some time after I see how the humidifier works out let me know any and all thoughts thanks!

Looking very nice. What other nepenthes are you growing right now?

Hey grey moss! I'm growing a spathulata x hamata hamata x platychila lantern gentle an unknown hybrid and another smaller hamata

Beautiful! What do you do to lower your night time temps in So.Cal?

Greetings Sashoke! I don't really worry on the night time drops too much at the moment as on its own it gets to 60-65 but during the summer I keep the a.c. running at 67 At night. My other nepenthes including the other pure hamata have seemed to be doing fine in it but it grows so slow so its a bit to soon to tell 😁

Greetings Sashoke! I don't really worry on the night time drops too much at the moment as on its own it gets to 60-65 but during the summer I keep the a.c. running at 67 At night. My other nepenthes including the other pure hamata have seemed to be doing fine in it but it grows so slow so its a bit to soon to tell 😁

I will say from personal experience it can seem like plants are doing perfectly fine for a year or two in the conditions you described. The winters hold them over just long enough to live until the next one. Then suddenly they fall ill rapidly. I dont want to scare you but if you want to keep highlanders Id suggest working towards a longer term growing solution. ??? otherwise intermediates are optimal windowsill growers.

With plants your size a very easy solution is to hang ice packs above the plants at night, works well enough until they get large. I can get local temps down to 50 all night doing this, the more ice you hang the longer it will stay cold.

I see. I've always been under the impsession that these guys weren't too fussy on the temp drops like other highlanders but I suppose itd be best to look for a more permanent solution

Last edited:
I see. I've always been under the impsession that these guys weren't too fussy on the temp drops like other highlanders but I suppose itd be best to look for a more permanent solution

Oh no, hamata is definitely fussy about nighttime temp drops. That, and small ones are pretty demanding when it comes to humidity as well.

I'd recommend vogelii as a species perfect for windowsills.

Not much of a windowsill grower as i don't think nepenthes are too cat proof😁

Definitely do need to figure out the nighttime drop before cold season is over thank you guys!

On another note my other baby hamata has started to unfold its new leaf! Such beautiful but slow growers

Ive never heard this before, does vogelli not care about temp drops?

It's an intermediate/highlander that, from personal experience, grows perfectly fine on a windowsill. In fact, mine never even had the delay in growth that most neps experience after getting into a new environment, even though I immediately put it on a windowsill (not the best of ideas, since I didn't know what humidity the seller had it growing in). It pitchers great, gets progressively larger leaves, and grows at a decent rate at ambient humidity, which for me is usually between 30-40%. It's typical for a person's house to experience some temperature drop at night compared to during the day, so I wouldn't say the plant doesn't care about it, only that the minor temp drop typical in a house is good enough.

As an added bonus, it is absolutely beautiful and stands out from the other species that grow well on windowsills, such as ventricosa and maxima. It's also one of the few species that has equally attractive yet distinct upper and lower pitchers, so no long wait for the best pitchers, and no losing the best pitchers once you've had it for a few years. It's all good!

The only downside is that it is a bit more pricey than most of the other windowsill plants, and harder to come by.

Not much of a windowsill grower as i don't think nepenthes are too cat proof😁

From personal experience, this is correct. I will be eternally bitter about my grandmother's cat chewing off the growth tip of my N. dubia.

I guess I’m lucky! I’ve never had my cat do more than knock a plant over which I solved by putting a perch by another window for him.
I’ve been thinking of getting another cat though and y’all are making me nervous [emoji23][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve also heard that hamata isn’t extremely picky about low night temps. I mean they definitely need it...but down to 50? I don’t think that’s needed. I’d try to keep them at your low of 60 if possible and I agree Sumner temps need to come down. But I don’t think it’ll suffer. I keep mine on the warmer side of my tent so it stays about 55-57 at night...instead of 48-52 (didn’t seem to especially like 48 degree nights).

Maybe I should clarify. They definitely need a night drop but I don’t think 60ish is too warm.

Not sure if it'll help in any way but at night I've been leaving them in the direct stream of the humidifier(cool mist)

Back