What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New growing Points?

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
I'm trying to figure out what these little guys are.

I know that Nepenthes will sometimes start new growth points, but where do they start from?

It seems like I have 2 new growth points starting from the ground. If so, would they be growing from the roots, or from the main stem at a node point? Should it be a node point, how did it make two at the same time so 'far' from the plant?

NepenthesGymnamphora1.JPG

NepenthesGymnamphora2.JPG

NepenthesGymnamphora3.JPG

Whatever it's doing it's fun to watch, maybe I'll have some Gymnamphora to trade in a few months!

Nathan

My neps usually produce more growth points from basal shoots. That looks like what yours is doing now.

N. gymnaphora? so far i have no 2nd growth points. but i do know that basals are more frequent during the vining stage.
Alex

I just read up on the basal shoot thing, very interesting.

http://www.cpjungle.com/nubasal.htm

Sounds like I have a bunch to look up once I get to work tomorrow! (didn't want to work anyways)

Nate

Well since no one really answered your question...

They're coming off of the stem, under the soil. Another "stem" grows off from the main stem, which bears the basal shoots. These secondary or basal stems share the same roots as the main plant. If you want to separate them, dig the thing up and slice the stems apart with a sterile razor blade, trying to get some root mass to both the basals and the main stem.

Are basal shoots a 1 to 1 relationship to the plant? As in at the moment would my Nep have 2 basal shoots with 2 mini plants growing, or is it a 1 to many relationship like a runner.

There's a diagram in the link I posted above, and he refers to the basal shoot as the section (7). But what's happening in the area labeled (6)? If it's like a runner I'm thinking I might want to repot the entire thing so it has some room to spread.

-Nate

6 appears to be a runner-ish thing, but I've never seen/heard of that happening. Basals almost always pop up within 0-3 inches from the stem.

A plant can have many basals...it just depends on the plant and the conditions. It could have 0...or 10 if it wanted to. You don't really need to separate and repot them if you don't want, it doesn't really matter unless there are a ton of basals (like 6) which will cause the main vine to eventually die. But 2 is fine.

Thanks Phissionkorps!

That clears some things up. I think I'm going to let these grow out for a bit longer to ensure they are growing some roots, divide them into their own pots, then it's off to the market for some trading once established!

Can't wait!

Nate

Back