What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ceph, in LFS, transplanting in a couple months

• Thread starter staze
  • Start date
Hey All,

I recently got a TC Ceph off ebay (my first one) and so far, it's doing quite well. It came in a plastic drink cup (clear, with holes punched in bottom and sides) planted in LFS and some perlite. I threw it in a larger pot held in place with some more LFS, and then in a small glass "terrarium" and an LED light for additional intensity. It's coloring up nicely, and is actually growing quite well.

I'd like to transplant it into something more permanent toward the end of it's slow time (if it slows down), but I'm lost in the world of "what soil to use". I have a lot of options on hand from #16 silica sand, peat, milled sphag, LFS, orchiata bark (all sizes), perlite (standard size and giant size), coir, coconut husk, turface, granite, crushed coral, etc etc etc. I grow a lot of different plants, and am a big fan of Al's Gritty for many things (including my Mexican Pings). My normal Nepenthes mix at this point is 50-75% LFS, and the remaining % being a combination of orchiata and charcoal. I don't really measure anymore... I just got for "airy".

Anywho, I was thinking milled sphagnum and sand (or perlite), but I'd love to hear suggestions. I'm currently topwatering, and may continue top watering, but again, open to thoughts. If I switch to tray, I would imagine whatever soil would need to be pretty "wicking" rather than something super inorganic.

Also, since it was TC, it's actually quite a few different cephs all quite small in a clump. Should I try to separate them at all, or just leave them as is until they're larger? I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow for reference. =)

The mix recipe that was given to me was 7:3 sand/peat. I've had mine for about a year and a half. So far so good. I'm sure it's just like anything else. Everyone has there own way. Ide is interested to see what others use.

Here's what it currently looks like. Coloration is all from last few weeks under a "cheap" LED (MiracleLED blue, "150W"). They're meh. Inner "ring" is the plastic drinking cup.

2018-12-17 10.38.29.jpg

When I got it, it was more like:

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 10.47.44 AM.jpg

Last edited:
They look great to me. Just keep in mind that they don't like a lot of change. When you re-pot them bag them up for a while and let them settle in. They like good drainage. If kept too wet they get root rot easily.

They look great to me. Just keep in mind that they don't like a lot of change. When you re-pot them bag them up for a while and let them settle in. They like good drainage. If kept too wet they get root rot easily.

Yeah, I'm well aware, and scared, of the transplant shock. They're currently in a large glass dome (like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/121895603/tree-of-life-live-moss-tree-terrarium). So they're pretty good there.

Should I try separating them at this age, or wait until they're more adult size?

Currently leaning toward milled sphag and perlite... but I probably have another month or so to decide. =)

The more you mess with them the bigger the shock. I would wait to separate till there bigger. Then you can re-pot again when there big enough to take cuttings.

Back