What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New carnivorous plant parent

• Thread starter FenHarel
  • Start date
Hey everyone! This beginner has a few questions! As of Friday I have a few carnivorous plants.

My P. Tina and P. Weser are on a windowsill that's directly on the South. They get direct sunlight from approximately 10 am till 16 PM (give or take one hour)

My N. Bloody Mary is on the northern windowsill. As I read it can burn and dry easily. It doesn't get any direct sunlight but it's on a bright place, it's next to the orchids. Is this bright enough for it or should I move it to the south window? And how often do I need to mist/spray it with water? Once a week? Daily? I'm in Europe by the way, the Netherlands to be exact.

I also caved and ordered a Drosera Aliciae, it will be put on the South windowsill as well as I read it wants lots of light and water.

And how do you give them water? The pings and Drosera? (I know Nepenthes can't be too wet. I give it some water every 2-3 days)
Atm I use the tray method and fill them when they're empty as they apparently like it wet but I read somewhere that you should or water from the top or let the tray dry up and wait 2-3 days between watering?

I wont speak too much for ping/sundew care as a chronic non-nepenthes murderer, but your Bloody Mary may want a bit more light than that (although you are on the right track by erring on the side of too little). You can always leave it where it is and see how it does, but if it fails to pitcher or is producing odd leaves I would move it to an east or west facing window instead.

@BugBiters Thanks! The only other available windowsill is South facing. Could I try that?

And another question, to someone who's not a ping killer haha jk😜

My ping weser has weird creases since it arrived and now two leaves are broken. Is there a reason why? And do I leave them on or remove the broken parts?

Attachments

• 20210805_192937.jpg
    20210805_192937.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210805_192934.jpg
    20210805_192934.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210805_192902.jpg
    20210805_192902.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210805_192930.jpg
    20210805_192930.jpg