What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New arrivals, drosera spatulata and drosera pulchella

• Thread starter Turtlekit
  • Start date
These guys just came in the mail, I wanted to show them off ^_^
af9b1017aa66726b5dcdd13fce4164f4.jpg

Drosera spatulata, looks pretty good aside from seeming to be a little bit loose in its pot and slightly bent up from the trip here
8175904098959d5ce4b80fa829ac4749.jpg

95f411833dd6fd8b3c9ed7d57e983049.jpg

Drosera pulchella 'pink flower' I am so happily surprised that there are a whole bunch of them in this pot rather than just one! There is a snail as well in these pictures, but I removed him and put him outside after taking the photos. I do not want him damaging any of my indoor plants, after all!

Congratulations. You picked up some plants that'll become a lot more in a year or so. You also got yourself some free plants. All those grass like plants in the soil are another carnivorous plant. Enjoy your new acquisitions.

Congratulations. You picked up some plants that'll become a lot more in a year or so. You also got yourself some free plants. All those grass like plants in the soil are another carnivorous plant. Enjoy your new acquisitions.

Oh, that's awesome! I suppose the grassy ones are probably utrics of some sort, then? What a wonderful surprise!

Congratulations on the plants. The "grass" as you put it is Utricularia bisquamata. It's a prolific weed and very commonly comes with plants form the particular nursery you ordered from. I've been told the seed pods are practically explosive and it flowers profusely, so be very careful unless you want it in every pot in your collection.

I wouldn't worry about the snail, personally. I've seen this type of snail a few times in my collection and I'm pretty sure they only eat old dead leaves, rather than munching on the live parts of the plant like pest snails would.

Congratulations on the plants. The "grass" as you put it is Utricularia bisquamata. It's a prolific weed and very commonly comes with plants form the particular nursery you ordered from. I've been told the seed pods are practically explosive and it flowers profusely, so be very careful unless you want it in every pot in your collection.

I wouldn't worry about the snail, personally. I've seen this type of snail a few times in my collection and I'm pretty sure they only eat old dead leaves, rather than munching on the live parts of the plant like pest snails would.

Goodness, I looked up pictures of that one and it gets pretty tall, will it choke out the pygmies? If it won't harm them then I won't disturb it any, it's nice to get a freebie, but if it is a danger to them then how should I go about transplanting it without disturbing the pygmies, or getting rid of it if that is not possible? I will just move the pot to the porch when it flowers to prevent it from nuking my other CPs, I doubt it would be nearly as much of a weed risk around a bunch of dry succulents! Thank you so much for the info ^_^

U. bisquamata actually stays quite small. I wouldn't worry about it overwhelming the other plants in the pot but it can be obnoxiously prolific. If you're interested in trading plants people generally don't like that sort of weed tagging along, either.

U. bisquamata actually stays quite small. I wouldn't worry about it overwhelming the other plants in the pot but it can be obnoxiously prolific. If you're interested in trading plants people generally don't like that sort of weed tagging along, either.

That's good, although I will definitely be careful not to let it spread any more! I don't yet have enough plants to start trading but I would hate to accidentally include a weed in a trade, even a weed that I personally like. I'll keep it isolated when it flowers. Thanks again for the help!

I think you'll find that spatulata is actually tokaiensis, with the wide lamina it's got. Still a very easy good beginner's plant, but definitely different.

I think you'll find that spatulata is actually tokaiensis, with the wide lamina it's got. Still a very easy good beginner's plant, but definitely different.

Just wanted to write the same thing...
Be careful when your D. tokaiensis flowers and sets seeds. You could get quite a few more than you bargained for...

Oh gosh, that isn't what I ordered but it's still alright! Thank you for letting me know!

Just wanted to write the same thing...
Be careful when your D. tokaiensis flowers and sets seeds. You could get quite a few more than you bargained for...

Thanks for the info! I have not grown sundews from seed before, will it be explosive like the hitchhiker u. bisquamata and need to be quarantined when flowering or will it stick to its own pot, and how should I go about harvesting the seeds in order to plant them where I want them rather than just wherever they end up?

It's not been that long since it was recognized that these are indeed different species, so: no worries!

Oh oh... I just realize I'm betraying my age here...
Half of you have probably never heard of the whole D. spatulata Kanto / D. spatulata Kansai thing...

Thanks for the info! I have not grown sundews from seed before, will it be explosive like the hitchhiker u. bisquamata and need to be quarantined when flowering or will it stick to its own pot, and how should I go about harvesting the seeds in order to plant them where I want them rather than just wherever they end up?

If you're not interested in the seeds, just snip them off—either when the flower stalk comes up or, if you want to see the flower, right after the flowers have wilted. If you want the seeds, but don't want them to spread everywhere, let the seeds capsule plump up. Remove them after they've started drying up but before they split open and release the seeds. It takes a little experience to recognize the point (you don't want to harvest seeds that are not fully developed yet, but you want to catch it before it rains down on its own), but after a couple of seeds explosions you'll figure it out... ;-)

Beware that the flowers will open one after the other, so the seed capsules too will ripen successively. Depending on how many flowers you get on a stalk, you might have the first seeds capsule opening to release seeds while a younger flower is still blooming. Also, you might miss the open flower altogether—they're not open for long.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!
Marcus

If you're not interested in the seeds, just snip them off—either when the flower stalk comes up or, if you want to see the flower, right after the flowers have wilted. If you want the seeds, but don't want them to spread everywhere, let the seeds capsule plump up. Remove them after they've started drying up but before they split open and release the seeds. It takes a little experience to recognize the point (you don't want to harvest seeds that are not fully developed yet, but you want to catch it before it rains down on its own), but after a couple of seeds explosions you'll figure it out... ;-)

Beware that the flowers will open one after the other, so the seed capsules too will ripen successively. Depending on how many flowers you get on a stalk, you might have the first seeds capsule opening to release seeds while a younger flower is still blooming. Also, you might miss the open flower altogether—they're not open for long.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!
Marcus

That is very helpful, thank you! I would definitely love to try to grow some from seed.

Back