What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new 120 Glalon Cube

RamPuppy

Here are some pics and a short explanation of what your seeing. This is as far as I have gotten in 3 years on this project, and most of it within the last few months. (mostly due to lack of time since I work around 70 to 80 hours a week)

This is the tank itself. pay no attention to the clutter around it (Note the college dorm crap on the wall!) this room is in the middle of a MAJOR overhaul, everything in it is on death row.
smile.gif
(except the tank)

It is a 120 gallon cube, 30" X 30" on all sides. the black structure in the middle is the overflow box, the back is painted black, and the left back has all the plumbing done, and handi-foam sprayed over it to hide all the plumbing.

DSCN1116.jpg

This is a closeup of the handi-foam with some old liverock pieces and dead coral stuck in it. There are some gaps (I ran out) that I will fill in with more foam and rock when I get more foam in. It will take a few months, but this stuff will get covered with coraline algae first, and eventually star polyps and zoanthids, it will blend right in with the live rock.

DSCN1108.jpg

The picture is a couple days old at this point, the configuration of the sump has changed slightly, all the blue balls you see in the back are gone, I decided I didn't want them, and I took the tower off, If i need it, i will put it back.

The chambers on the right are for adding media to the mix, the larger one will have a slower flow so media that requires a longer contact time will go there, faster contact time filter media will go in the small chamber. (like pillows of purigen or other chemical reagents that polish the water). It empties at the bottom.

DSCN1114.jpg

These two pumps and the associated nightmare of plumbing are the core of the system. The pump on the left is a closed loop notice the gray cylinder, that is a wave maker. Water will only come out of 2 pipes at a time. the 3 open ended pipes are the only unfinished portion of the plumbing.

The pump on the right is the return pump on the sump. the two ball valves are for expansions I haven't finished yet. 1 will go to the gravity fed refugium that will be over the tank, the other will go to an experimental filter system which uses a hotly argued method of denitrification called fully aerobic de-nitrification - it uses a high grade carbon as bio media, and a powerful bacteria blend. The science behind the system is debateable, but one thing isn't, this filter system produces incredible water quality!!!

DSCN1113.jpg

OOohhhhh!! FANCY! looks super cool man. I undrestand driving through texas SUCKS but once this gets done maybe it'd be worth it for me to stop by and take a look.
smile.gif
Can't wait to see it further along.
Andrew

LMAO!!! yuor avie is hilarious!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Lol, thanks Glider.
smile.gif

here are some more pics w/ the new liverock in.

These rocks are about 60 lbs and 30 lbs apiece (only two in there) keep in mind the tank is 30" long and 30" tall 30" front to back and that gives you an idea how HUGE these show pieces of rock are!

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

Man, thats crazy. I love fish and all but i couldnt keep up with the cost...

Not yet any ways
laugh.gif

Cheers

well, a little update.

I had a problem with the wave maker, but it's being fixed under warranty... until then it is shut down.

I haven't built the canopy yet because I am LAZY.

But, I did move my clownfish in, they have set up territory between the big rocks in the very center of the tank. lords of their realm.

cool set up, any new pics? the wife and i bought a house. and i foun out last night that both of us have been thinking the same thing. we can actually do a large saltwater tank. we have a small living room in the basement, the neat thing about this room is that while we can keep the tank on display out in the living room i can drill a couple holes through the drywall and plumb my sump and reefugium and such into my plant/frog room on the other side.so i can build a large sump without having it visible. course its probably going to be 6-9 months before i get to start on it

yeah! so luxurious and enchanting. i can't believe you work so much like that and still had time to do that all yourself... maybe you are an engineer- my dad is an engineer and he likes to craft little things together... crazy.. soooo large! 120 gallons... wow... must be a tonof water weight or something...

Back