What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepwnthes pitcher not forming / without pitcher lid

Good day!

I have a problem with my nepenthes alata and rebecca soper, as described in the title.
The pitchers, although they look as in the pictures below, they have plenty of juice in them. Anyone had the same problem?
Also, can the nepenthes from the last picture be identified? It doesn't look like the alata I have, and i have no idea what could it be.
5c5ebaf8781dfc4cd1d12a963ab2a316.jpg
e012e1e10277515ea49209de4ebcab84.jpg
50e05ce5d5d894039bc4651bb507b6da.jpg
10b60271cfde7ebe2cbbc5e61a55c042.jpg
61bf027243dd940d32703492364b4f14.jpg

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

It looks like a humidity problem to me. I suggest spraying the young pitchers that haven't fully developed yet with distilled water several times a day.

It looks like a humidity problem to me. I suggest spraying the young pitchers that haven't fully developed yet with distilled water several times a day.
I have, but not several times a day. I will try it out, thanks!

Tell me how it works out.

I'm going to agree second everything said above. It seems that happens more when they don't like the ambient humidity. I'll echo that misting multiple times a day should fix the problem. As for your nep ID question, I'm not sure what it is...would agree not alata though.

Spraying won't help, as the liquid will evaporate rapidly and only raise local humidity for a short period, and may in fact contribute to further dehydration and burning of the pitchers; even several times a day won't do much. However, setting open saucers of water nearby may help raise humidity at a more constant rate, or placing a humidifier nearby.

Spraying won't help, as the liquid will evaporate rapidly and only raise local humidity for a short period, and may in fact contribute to further dehydration and burning of the pitchers; even several times a day won't do much. However, setting open saucers of water nearby may help raise humidity at a more constant rate, or placing a humidifier nearby.

I know that a lot of people are of this opinion, but I could swear that most of my windowsill neps do keep pitchers longer/create more when I mist them and conversely seem to suffer when I do not. Maybe it's just a strong placebo effect/I am delusional, and my ambient humidity is just fine, but I do think there's something to it? Though, obviously a humidifier is a much more reliable solution, in any case.

If the last plant was purchased in a garden center it is probably a N. Louisa.

Had to look up Louisa as I had never heard of it before (and it's not officially registered anywhere); that last plant does look similar, but it could also possibly be a young sanguinea "orange."
And squidfengshui: perhaps if you are in fact misting often enough or enough water collects in the region then it may be raising humidity a fair amount; conversely, because you mist them, the plants have gotten used to this constant presence of water and appear to suffer when you do not because they are no longer acclimated to the ambient conditions. If they are not misted and allowed to acclimate, the current leaves might look ratty but eventually new growth would appear that is adapted. I had a N. ventricosa and 'Miranda' that lived for over a year in the ambient humidity of my house (which probably averaged only around 25-40% back then) and while they did not necessarily pitcher readily ('Miranda' did more than ventricosa), and they grew fine.

Good to know. Perhaps one day I'll play around with that idea and see what happens!

Raising humidity may not help. I had an unknown Nepenthes which was thought to be Miranda and it did the same, no lids or malformed. I had it in a terrarium with 80+ % humidity. I don't know why but after I sold it I was told that it thrives on windowsill in much lower humidity. Hope you solve the problem!

If that's the case then it would likely be a soil issue, and a repot would be recommended.

Apparently the misting is working, as the pitchers are looking a lot better! Though not fully formed, they seem to have a lot of meat on them.
d579d6112503b85f8fa1e921b078ebd6.jpg
d9297b9b0884eacaada24f45b0b5abfa.jpg

13015602_10154814557327222_9047943521600161535_n.jpg

13001105_10154814557247222_7944270339490745413_n.jpg

The pitchers are looking so much better now! :D

Last edited:
Back