What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Ventricosa x Ovata plant

Rball

INFECTED
I have been growing many years and most of my plants have acclimated to my window. Just wondering if anyone else has this species as mine literally over the last 4 years has grown about 4 foot tall and literally never pitchers. had maybe 2 since i purchased it. Is there a specific need this plant likes that i do not know about? it sits along side the rest of my highlanders that are all loaded with pitchers.

I have not seen that specific hybrid before, but I've noticed that lack of pitchers most often comes down to lack of light. Do you have any pictures of the plant and your grow area?

I don't pay much attention to mine although now that it's vining, it doesn't seem to pitcher very frequently either. My plant pitchers better off of its basals, which is a nice trade-off since the lower pitchers are much nicer IMO. If all the conditions are fine, maybe the plant would like something to wrap its tendrils around as my N. ventricosa x ovata seems to grab onto everything.

It is in a south south east facing sliding glass window. The window is like 3 foot tall and about 5 foot wide. It gets over 6 hours of direct sunlight. Like i said the rest of my nepenthes all do fine and are loaded with pitchers right next to this plant. It is in vine stage and they all start the tendrils and coil up some extending over a foot but never inflate.

Clue's probably right on the money then. I know the one ventricosa hybrid I grow produces far fewer pitchers while vining, though the old ones from lower on the plant hang on for an extremely long time.

My humidity isnt the best, but i have been waiting for it to flower so i can tell its sex but have been tempted to trade it off to someone who has more optimum conditions if its something like humidity or temps are whats required for it to pitcher. My winter temps are super cold outside. granted they are inside the window....but when its -30f outside the window still gets cold. Most of my nepenthes slow down come winter but all grow crazy come spring and summer. My humidity is not optimum but most of my plants have acclimated over the years just this one has not.

My humidity isnt the best, but i have been waiting for it to flower so i can tell its sex but have been tempted to trade it off to someone who has more optimum conditions if its something like humidity or temps are whats required for it to pitcher. My winter temps are super cold outside. granted they are inside the window....but when its -30f outside the window still gets cold. Most of my nepenthes slow down come winter but all grow crazy come spring and summer. My humidity is not optimum but most of my plants have acclimated over the years just this one has not.
Hi,

I had my N. Ventricosa x Ovata in an east facing window with 40% RH for about 9 months, and it did not produce any pitchers. It did produce several basals. I recently moved it to my green house with an average of 92% RH and higher light levels and it has produced several pitchers.

awesome thanks that is what i was leaning towards. i think ill hold onto it to see if it flowers and determine the sex. if not i will be sending it on to some other grower that has a greenhouse or more humidity. Its a beautiful plant and would love it to be in hands of a grower that can make it pitcher.

Back