What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes thorelii

Hi Tom,
Thanks for sharing. I checked out the photos. Wow! Those look very similar to what we have in our greenhouse, especially the plants that came from Geoff Mansell (Brisbane Botanical Gardens). Where were those photos taken?

linky

smile_m_32.gif

Tom,

I hope you got some seed, or at least some cuttings, as the material floating round collections as thorelii and other Indochinese Nepenethes is absolutely woeful. I have several different "thorelii", but they're useless from a conservation point of view as there is zero data on where the materal, or parent material, was collected from.

Keep up the good work.

Hamish

Hi,
The Nepenthes thorelii came from Trat, Thailand near the Cambodian border. I have another sample of N. mirabilis from Chanthaburi, Thailand that I'll try and post later. I got alot of seed of both with plants. Some will be dried for herbarium specimen samples that I'll deposit to the Royal Herbarium here in Bangkok.
The root system was huge. Very woody tubers clustered into a connected clump. Deep tap roots penatrating the sand it was growing in. Most likely for water storage for the dry season.
Truly,
Tom

Hi, looking at the pitcher (pear-like) and lid (apple-like) shape it could be the TRUE thorelii as it was recently showed on my website. I'm looking forward to go to Trat in a month and a half and check it personally
smile.gif

Trent, what about the "giant thorelii" from Nong ??
Marcello

The 'Giant Thorelii's' really took a beating from hurricane Wilma and one of the growth points was damaged by a fallen hanging basket. We have since aquired a handful more, and they are adapting to their new home now. They have huge woody tuberous roots almost exactly like those in Tom's pics. We're in hopes that the "tubers" are capable of producing a new ground shoot even when the existing shoot is damaged.

Back