What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Seeds Sowing

Kulamauiman and Exo gave me some Nepenthe Ventricosa seeds. Thank men. :-D This is the first time I sow Nep. seeds. I put them in cups and fill with coconut coir. The first round I got 5 seedlings (sacrificed one so picture has only 4).
Nep-00.jpg

One and a half month later I sow the second round and got some more. :banana2: . I sow some seeds in vitro but only one survive and too small to take picture. :boogie:

Nep-01.jpg

Nep-02.jpg

Very nice. I had some from that same batch. By the way, which TC media did you use, since N. ventricosa is fairly bulletproof in vitro?

Nice flasker.Now it time to get some invitro.

That's great. Congrats. I hope this will be my year to succeed with seeds.

I've asked this question of others...but how moist should the media be? I have my seeds on LFS in a humidity dome for seedlings. Should I have any water standing in the bottom? Or should I just keep it damp to the touch and add more if it starts to dry?

BigBella,
I use MS and DKW. First I try 1/4 MS and standard sterilization: no contamination but no germination. Lower the sterilization -> contamination. I adjust sterilization but no sign of live. I use DKW then change the concentration a dozen times. It drives me like a nut. :censor:When I almost give up I see a green dot. Hope it survives. It's too early to say but I know exactly the problem. When I get fresh seeds I will try again.

TheLarge,
I tried your Nep seeds: no contamination but no sign of live yet. I take a look at Cali Car. and see Nep seeds for sell. is it reliable? I see your Cep micropropagation !!!. It's amazing man.

I've asked this question of others...but how moist should the media be? I have my seeds on LFS in a humidity dome for seedlings. Should I have any water standing in the bottom? Or should I just keep it damp to the touch and add more if it starts to dry?

Vbkid,
My favor media for seeds is coconut coir. I wash it many times to eliminate salt. I put it in a cup add distilled water to almost wet. Put seeds on the surface and cover completely with wrapper and put under fluorescent light. If the media is too dry I spray with distilled water. So far it works for VFT, Drosera, Dionaea seeds too. I love coir because it doesn't get mold and fungi even it's high humidity. I did not try with LFS yet so I can't tell.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Bazillian seedlings kulamauiman !!! :hail:

BigBella,
I use MS and DKW. First I try 1/4 MS and standard sterilization: no contamination but no germination. Lower the sterilization -> contamination. I adjust sterilization but no sign of live. I use DKW then change the concentration a dozen times. It drives me like a nut. :censor:When I almost give up I see a green dot. Hope it survives. It's too early to say but I know exactly the problem. When I get fresh seeds I will try again.

When you say "standard sterilization," what method did you use, and its duration. Nepenthes seeds are notoriously easy to kill during that process -- and sterilization can all too often mean that of the seed itself. I now limit myself to four and eight percent solutions of PPM for the entire genera; and other species, a combination of methods . . .

When you say "standard sterilization," what method did you use, and its duration. Nepenthes seeds are notoriously easy to kill during that process -- and sterilization can all too often mean that of the seed itself. I now limit myself to four and eight percent solutions of PPM for the entire genera; and other species, a combination of methods . . .

"standard sterilization" is 10% Clorox for 10 minutes. I read your sterilization and want to try; unfortunately, I don't have PPM so I try Physan which may have the same functions as PPM. No contamination but no germinate. I also try NaDCC too. I need to try more to see how it works.

"standard sterilization" is 10% Clorox for 10 minutes. I read your sterilization and want to try; unfortunately, I don't have PPM so I try Physan which may have the same functions as PPM. No contamination but no germinate. I also try NaDCC too. I need to try more to see how it works.

I would reduce your Clorox by half, at the very least; and i have never had any experience with Physan, save for use on some plants . . .

I would reduce your Clorox by half, at the very least; and i have never had any experience with Physan, save for use on some plants . . .
I reduce the concentration of Clorox, NaDCC and Physan as well as the number of minutes. I could be wrong but I think it's not the problem of sterilization because seedlings in the pictures are sterilized too. The problem could be something else.:headwall:

the amount of chlorine in bleach varies depending on the time of the year. Very possible to end up with more active ingredient or less just between winter to summer. Was testing Trichloroisocyanuric acid (swimming pool chlorinating granules). At 1/8 tsp per cup and it seems to have not kill the VFT flower stalks and gave me reasonable disinfection using suggested bleach soak and rinse times...

have not tried nep seeds yet.

abcd50c5.jpg

same batch of seeds

Wow.. How do you get so many seedlings?? Of course I see a lot of seeds, but I have about the same amount of fresh seeds and three weeks later still nothing on the correct media and in the correct LL environment ...am I doing anything wrong?

I got seeds for the same batch. They arrived in the mail a month and a half after he sent them out. Needless to say, nothing happened.

I have over 50 seedlings from kula myself. Placed in terrarium with high humidity and 2 banks of t8 lights on 16 hrs a day. More keep sprouting too. Sewn on milled lfs. I have an ultra sonic humidifier piped in and I occasionally will fog the tank. It's always on to keep humidity up, but I like the fog look sometimes so I ramp it up to fill the tank. And I have a pc fan inside running at all times.

Wow.. How do you get so many seedlings?? Of course I see a lot of seeds, but I have about the same amount of fresh seeds and three weeks later still nothing on the correct media and in the correct LL environment ...am I doing anything wrong?

Time is important . I don't think I would see germination in three weeks...
Seed started germinating about 3 months or so after I planted. I planted in november 2011 they started in feb-March 2012

and yes that pot was over seeded. I will pay the consequences in months to come....

Also dunno about LL conditions for this one to germinate. I am seeing the best germinating where temps are in the 80s. In the petiolaris sundew and sarracenia germination chambers where temps reach over 100 F I am not seeing any germination. Guessing max temp might be in the mid 90s if i had to guess above that dead seeds.

Last edited:
the amount of chlorine in bleach varies depending on the time of the year. Very possible to end up with more active ingredient or less just between winter to summer. Was testing Trichloroisocyanuric acid (swimming pool chlorinating granules). At 1/8 tsp per cup and it seems to have not kill the VFT flower stalks and gave me reasonable disinfection using suggested bleach soak and rinse times...

have not tried nep seeds yet.

Trichloroisocyanuric or NaDCC is my favor disinfectant too. it's less phytotoxic to plant cells. I use it for orchid, CPs and other vegetable seeds as well as explants with minimum contamination.

My biggest batch of these were from seeds I planted because nobody claimed them in the SASE I did...they were 2 months old....almost all came up...oh dear. :-))

Update
More and more seeds are sprouting.

nep-seedling-04.jpg

nep-seedling-03.jpg

Finally, I can see green lights at the end of tunnel: my first Nepenthes in TC

nep-seedling-02.jpg

nep-seedling-01.jpg

Back