What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hookeriana

I recently bought a hookeriana and have been giving it a lowlander treatment. The only question I have is how fast does it grow during winter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on your conditions during winter. Are you giving it artificial light? Or natural light? All Nepenthes will slow down as the light cycle decreases. They also slow down with lower temps.

They are getting artificial lights four 120w cfl warm daylight bulbs

Temps are running about 75-80 with 55% humidity

Sounds like it will grow fine. I've heard that hookeriana does fine in intermediate conditions.

Thanks I have seen a bit of growth and usually dealing with highlanders. It seems to me so far lowlanders are probably my best bet then. I keep highlanders alive but by the end of winter they look horrible. Only during the warm season do I really grow them.

So long as you keep light, temperature, and humidity up in the standard lowland range, it should grow quite quickly. If it's on a windowsill that cools down and also receives less light seasonally, it'll slow down. I've got one that stays in the 80s-90s under lights for 14 hours a day, 50-60% humidity, and it grows vigorously. Previously, I grew it on a windowsill, and it still grew quite fine, just not nearly as quickly as it does under its current conditions.

Last edited:
I purchased a "hookeriana" last summer and it's doing fine in my grow room. It's slowed down a bit but it's in there with highlanders. I've noticed increased pitchering, when I mist the newly developing pitchers. I keep it growing under T5's for 10 hours, Temps 78 F during the day and 55 F during the night and humidity around 70%. I've found that it really wants very humid conditions. The traps will stop or slow down at humidity under 50-60%.
I made the mistake of putting it to close under the T5's and the light intensity started to burn the upper leaves.
I think it's one of my favorite nepenthes right now. In two weeks time, I've had three newly formed traps and one has doubled in size.

Here are some pics. The first pic was when it was first purchased Sept. 2015. The second pic is what it looks like now growing my my green room.

Nepenthes%20Hookeriana_zpslwqkrfua.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

N.%20Hookeriana_zpsjxfo6b2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back