What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes feeding

I fertilize through the soil every two to three weeks with some orchid fertilizer (20-13-14) at a quarter strength.

xvart.

Didn't want to go through all 15 pages to see what has been done so I will just list what I have used and some of which I continue to use.

1. Dead leaves of other CPs
2. Deer droppings
3. Dilluted orchid fertilizer
4. Osmocote N 14 P 14 K 14**

**can quickly rot pods in some of my species. Lately I have had better luck grinding up the pellets so I can add tiny amount of powder to the pitchers.

I have wanted to try bird droppings. I have heard some have had success with those. I also want to try fish food but I haven't done so.

has any1 ever tried good ole fishing worms, you know the one`s you buy at the local bait shop, i tried one once, it was completely digested in a week and a half! i hav eno idea on how well it works incomparrison to koi pellets (which i am going to try soon) or other fish food. there were no adverse effects, actually the next pitcher was the finest of em all! So yeah, FISHING WORMS, WHAT`S YOUR OPINION!?

ps, bird droppings, i mean come on... collecting bugs, fine... bird poo, i don`t think so!

Last edited:
you lack dedication young Grasshopper.........you must be one with your plants!.............

that said, when i have it for the veggie gardens in the spring/summer i use liquefied fish fert added to the pitchers....the stuff stinks horribly though so i dont use it much in winter due to how lil i use at a time and a gallon of it mixed starts reeking after a couple days.....so i use "Betta Bites", these are even fairly easy to feed the tiny pitchers of seedlings and fairly fresh out of TC plants.......

this is the stuff i use.........i use a plastic syringe thing and add it directly to the pitchers.......i have really gotten away from chemical ferts, mainly because my ground water is already full of salts and i dont want to add more inorganic compounds to my soil.....since i have organic ferts for my out door gardens they are what i use inside aswell

alaska-fish-fertilizer-lrg.jpg

Ya know, I've searched for that Alaskan fish emulsion locally and cannot locate it.

Rattler: Did you find yours locally or did you order it online?

ive been buying the above size from the local Ace hardware.....bought a gallon size at Home Depot when out of town last weekend.........

Our local home depot has it also near the Miracle Grow ferts - around $15 I think.

Hmmm..........

I'll have to do another search locally.

I've never seen it at HD or at Lowe's either.........

I'll check Ace Hardware. I'm not even sure we have any Ace Hardware's left here though.......

oh well..........

I use neptunes harvest fish/seaweed and maxsea 16:16:16 seaweed fert, though maxsea has chemical ferts in it, It doesn't seem to harm anything.

like i said i dont want chemical ferts outside cause my water already is loaded with salts....granted since i use RO water for my CP's it would be a non issue other than i dont feel like buying two separate things of fertilizer, rather use one for all........also near impossible to burn a nep pitcher with the above which makes me less leery bout using it on the lil tiny seedling and fresh out of TC pitchers......

Well, it took me all of two and a half hours to read all 174 posts, I think i'll try my luck with neps soon :D now i know more about feeding and ferts...

A HUGE thank you to all of those that have answered in this thread, it's a real wealth of information.
Clint: ease up bro, everyone's entitled to an opinion (freedom of speech, even a canadian like me knows your constitutional rights). To each his own.

At what concentration are you using the Alaska Fish Fert?

this is the stuff i use.........i use a plastic syringe thing and add it directly to the pitchers.......i have really gotten away from chemical ferts, mainly because my ground water is already full of salts and i dont want to add more inorganic compounds to my soil.....since i have organic ferts for my out door gardens they are what i use inside aswell

alaska-fish-fertilizer-lrg.jpg

couldnt tell yah......its a fairly low strength organic fert so i dont pay that close of attention.......i suppose its roughly mixed double the suggested on the package

What concentrations do you guys use the Neptunes Harvest and Fish Emulsion fertilizers and would you suggest moving away from maxsea since its chemical and organic?

I might try some freezedried mysis shrimp on my new Nep. New Life Spectrum foods might produce some good results as well.

How often should i feed my Neps if i use Koi pellets?

Back