What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes DUBIA : Experiences and Photos?

Hello to everyone!
Well...having a Nepenthes dubia at home is not so common,so, if you have one in your cultivation list don't esitate to put questions, telling your experiences and to post some photos! I have a Nepenthes dubia since September and it is growing fine, even a bit slowly!
I will post some pictures in the next days!
Let me know about you all!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Mine's a bit of a sorry story, I'm afraid. The seedling I've been growing suffered from what I think was a mite infestation and it's main growth point was stunted and eventually died. Although I couldn't see any mites (even with a lens) I treated it with a miticide and it seemed to pick up a bit. Eventually it put out a side shoot and things are now looking much more hopeful
smile.gif

dubia1.jpg

I treat it as I do my rajah, lowii, ephippiata etc, and apart from the mite episode it seems happy enough.
Cheers,
T.

I would say it seems VERY happy! Congratulations on saving its life and great job cultivating it.

Here's mine, just a pup still. It grows happily with the other highlanders in typical highland conditions in my grow room.

N_dubia_001.sized.jpg

Tonyc,
I have very much appreciated your posting and your photo.
A lot of people are reading this topic but without answering because people who cultivate Nepenthes dubia are very few.It is not a common plant!
smile.gif

Mine as you can see the 2 photos, is very little but is growing fine since I had it ( 19 September 2005 ).
It is slowly developing pitchers in more than one leaf as you can notice.
Capslock,
I am really curious to discover how my Dubia will become in the future.Like your colour of Tonyc's ones. I honestly hope in last one.
Actually my dubia is this :
dubia.jpg

dubia1.jpg

Of course I want a Nepentes dubia like this one photgraphed by Wistuba :
ndubia1.jpg

dubi_n1.jpg

Let's hope and continue keep cultivating the plant.
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi all:

N. dubia is definitely not a beginner's plant nor is its cousin N. inermis. It loves cold nights and does not like too much heat IMO

Gus

[b said:
Quote[/b] (agustinfranco @ Dec. 14 2005,1:03)]N. dubia is definitely not a beginner's plant nor is its cousin N. inermis. It loves cold nights and does not like too much heat IMO

Gus
smile_l_32.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

who exactly are you talking about?

MrAga73,
I'm not aware of much genetic variation in N. dubia, so I think the difference in colour between my plant and Capslock's is probably due to their environmental conditions.
Here's a pic of my plant (taken before the putative mite infestation), when I kept it about 400mm away from the growlights:

dubia2.jpg

It now lives about 200mm away, and I'm sure that accounts for the change in colour.
Cheers,
T.

TonyC,
Nepenthes dubia seems to like my terrarium temperatures.
For the moment it has about 26 during day and 20 during night.
She is far from light for the moment and she is developing anyway pitchers.
I am watching dubia every day.
I expect to feed dubia as soon she will finisch to develop her first pitchers.
Some more tips to know?
Of course I know that she is an ultrahighland like inermis.
Next year I will leave it our for more time in bad season.
Mr_Aga

A little update about my Nepenthes dubia :
1 month after :
dubia.jpg

Today with lots of efforts I have succed to feed her with some chicken meat.
probably I will loose the traps but at least I could give to the plant some food for its growing needs.
Let's hope.
I will win! ;)

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi Mr Aga:

I think you should add osmocote to your dubia instead. Since you had nice results with the reinwardtiana, I wouldn't be playing with anything else.

Gus

Augustin,
the plant is very young and rare and also ( expensive in Euros) so....for those reasons I don't use OSMOCOTE :

1 - The plant is enjoying my terrarium
2 - She grows fast
3 - She is too little for giving her osmocote now.
4 - I want to have under control the grow without osmocote

I am sure you understand me.
Anyway...I am trying osocote with a Nepenthes rajah...because I have 2 of them!
See yah!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Hi Mr. Aga:

Well, you should not be afraid to try osmocote. I have tried it in several types of neps and no harm has been detected, including small plants.

Gus

Back