What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Deformity

• Thread starter LeeKZN
  • Start date
Hi guys

So have recently moved my neps into an aquarium tank indoors as we are going into winter here in South Africa.

However some of them seem to have deformed or burnt leaves on the new growth.

Research has indicated a thrip infection. Saw a post on this forum which looked identical to my babies, but cannot find it now :)

Can you confirm if this is thrips? Can't see any live activity but understand the are really tiny. I have sprayed all of the plants in the tank with insecticide called Cypermeethrin, even the healthy ones, but want to ask those that have gone through this, how often do you spray? How long do you spray ? Do I need to cut the infected leaves or leave them to grow, even if deformed?

Thanks all.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone..

Lee

Attachments

• 20230513_194650.jpg
    20230513_194650.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230513_194641.jpg
    20230513_194641.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230513_194629.jpg
    20230513_194629.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230513_194601.jpg
    20230513_194601.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Yeah, that is definitely thrips damange, and really severe at that. The pesticide you are using should have guidelines for frequency. It is very important that you follow them, as well as any strenght guidelines if it did not come as a premixed spray. Additionally I'd isolate it out of the tank from the rest of your plants for the duration of the treatment.

Yeah, that is definitely thrips damange, and really severe at that. The pesticide you are using should have guidelines for frequency. It is very important that you follow them, as well as any strenght guidelines if it did not come as a premixed spray. Additionally I'd isolate it out of the tank from the rest of your plants for the duration of the treatment.
Thank you so very much. Very sad. Initially was told that it was just because of the cold :-(

Will follow that regime to the T. I also diluted it as I was told that full strength would harm plants when treating, but guess they can't be harmed more than this can they :-(

Any advice on what to look for before they get to this point... As mentioned they are all in the same tank so pretty sure it's moved across to others, but will continue to use pesticide on all of them, just in case.

No, you definitely should not be diluting pesticides. That is how you breed resistance in the pests. Apply it at full strenght, at the recommended intervals.

Back