What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes decapitation

• Thread starter Sage269
  • Start date
This morning my wife informed me that somehow my Nepenthes got decapitated. All the green growth has been broken off at the stem. I have put the crown in the soil. Is there anyway to save this poor plant?

20220919_062001.jpg

Just keep the soil unusually wet and hope for the best!

It absolutely can be saved, you've essentially just taken a cutting of it!
Two things that have helped me root Neps in the past:
1) Rooting hormone. Dip it at the point of the break in water, then in rooting hormone.
2) Humidity. I'd keep it bagged up so that that the plant doesn't lose moisture until it can fend for itself.
Not guaranteed to work, Nep cuttings can be hit/miss, but with it being the active growth point, I'm inclined to be hopeful. I'd also keep the remnants of the portion it broke off of (also bag it up probably) and see if it shoots out any basal shoots to make up for the lost vegetation!

It absolutely can be saved, you've essentially just taken a cutting of it!
Two things that have helped me root Neps in the past:
1) Rooting hormone. Dip it at the point of the break in water, then in rooting hormone.
2) Humidity. I'd keep it bagged up so that that the plant doesn't lose moisture until it can fend for itself.
Not guaranteed to work, Nep cuttings can be hit/miss, but with it being the active growth point, I'm inclined to be hopeful. I'd also keep the remnants of the portion it broke off of (also bag it up probably) and see if it shoots out any basal shoots to make up for the lost vegetation!
Thanks!

Back