What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes close their lids?

I noticed when I got my rajah it had an open pitcher, but ever since i got it it has been closed. Does the humidity or temperature effect this?

Yes, the humidity or temps will cause this.
The plant will close its lid when humidity is too low, the temperature is too high, or when it is acclimating to new conditions so that it's digestive fluids don't evaporate. So don't worry, it's probably just adjusting to your conditions. The lids will open back up when it is acclimated.

Good Luck!

Matt

lol, now why does andy's sanguinea keep making open pitcher for me, but ventricosa from other vendor made way more pitcher than andy's sanguinea and its growing very fast, the lid is closed. and i've had the ventricosa for a longer time than the sanguinea. is it just because andy sells good and acclimated plant?

Upper, I'm not sure. lol
The funny thing is, I've had the same trouble with a past ventricosa as well.
What are your conditions and how large is the plant? The pitchers on mine didn't start opening until they got a little bit larger and I upped the humidity.

Maybe they're just stubborn plants. lol

lol, now why does andy's sanguinea keep making open pitcher for me, but ventricosa from other vendor made way more pitcher than andy's sanguinea and its growing very fast, the lid is closed. and i've had the ventricosa for a longer time than the sanguinea. is it just because andy sells good and acclimated plant?

In my experience, N. sanguinea is a much more durable plant than N. ventricosa, which could be one reason.

xvart.

Yes, the humidity or temps will cause this.
The plant will close its lid when humidity is too low, the temperature is too high, or when it is acclimating to new conditions so that it's digestive fluids don't evaporate. So don't worry, it's probably just adjusting to your conditions. The lids will open back up when it is acclimated.

Good Luck!

Matt

On average how long might this take?

On average how long might this take?
It really depends on how different your conditions are to those that were provided to it at the vendor, and the species of the plant; so it's almost impossible to give an exact answer.

The best answer I can give you is that your rajah will probably take longer to acclimate than something like a sanguinea or ventricosa due to how sensitive the plant is.
But you still never know, it could take anywhere from a few days, to a few weeks, to a few months.

both my plant are on same windowsill side by side. room temperature. room humidity.

Back