What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Burbidgeae X Edwardsiana?

Hey guys! So I recently purchased a Burb X eddy and did a little research concerning the Legitimacy of this hybrid. So there is debate in another forum saying that this hybrid may not even have edwardsiana in it and possibly villosa or an even more complex hybrid. I wanted to know if this is true and if there ever was a conclusion to what this hybrid really is. All input is welcome!

Hey guys! So I recently purchased a Burb X eddy and did a little research concerning the Legitimacy of this hybrid. So there is debate in another forum saying that this hybrid may not even have edwardsiana in it and possibly villosa or an even more complex hybrid. I wanted to know if this is true and if there ever was a conclusion to what this hybrid really is. All input is welcome!

A couple of discussions have been held before, but the general conclusion is still that because of the nature of the hybrid we'll never be sure. Harvested from a wild female N. burbidgeae, the logical conclusion was that the hybrid was between that and the only other species around, N. edwardsiana. I believe that someone has made the hybrid artificially, but it will probably be several years before we see more adult plants of the cross, and even then, variability may stop us from making any likely conclusions.

Also, I found the hybrid to be one of the most fickle growers I've ever had and never could grow it well.

Also, I found the hybrid to be one of the most fickle growers I've ever had and never could grow it well.

I've found that as well. I actually have less issue with its parental species then I do with this hybrid which is not the usual...

I've found that as well. I actually have less issue with its parental species then I do with this hybrid which is not the usual...

This will be my first time growing this particular hybrid. That being said I have read a lot of the same comments quoting this plant is very slow/difficult. I have also read this plant is very easy to grow. This leads me to believe there are more then one hybrid floating around. I have not recieved mine yet as its in transit in the mail but I do hope it's a easy grower for me.

Back