What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes basal cutting questions.

• Thread starter Adyn
  • Start date
Hello.
I have nepenthes with several basal shoots. I want to cut & root them. My question is, do I cut them at dark colored stem (below soil surface) or at green colored stem above soil surface?

At this video (
), predatory plants ultimate basal guide, they cut at below soil surface and plant them with dark colored stem. The thing is, I've heard that green stem have better chances to produce roots,compared lower stem or woody stem.

So, any experienced people with basal cutting that could help me with these?

Thank you, and I apologize with my lack English skills.

Brown stems are not an issue for rooting. Some people think woody stems don't root as well as softer stems but it seems to me they just need to be prepped differently. I put a few slices in them at the very bottom to help facilitate roots. Also brown or woody stems may not be as generous with activating nodes, but that doesn't matter when you're dealing with a basal with a growth point, those are the easiest to root.
Good luck!

The above is my exact experience. Nodes are more likely to activate on green stems. Basal shoots root easily because of the amount of hormones present in young and active growth point. Slicing stems gives increased access to the cambium layer to support root formation. Woody stems do better with root hormone (again, at the cambium). Basal cuttings will root without...

Why not cut the Vining portion and let the basal do its thing? This is likely the best option if you are concerned with striking nodes and rooting cuttings.

Thank you so much. Another question : did you use grow light or put them under bright lights like windowsill? With normal stem cutting, I always failed with window/bright light methods, and have 50% success with grow light.
Brown stems are not an issue for rooting. Some people think woody stems don't root as well as softer stems but it seems to me they just need to be prepped differently. I put a few slices in them at the very bottom to help facilitate roots. Also brown or woody stems may not be as generous with activating nodes, but that doesn't matter when you're dealing with a basal with a growth point, those are the easiest to root.
Good luck!

The above is my exact experience. Nodes are more likely to activate on green stems. Basal shoots root easily because of the amount of hormones present in young and active growth point. Slicing stems gives increased access to the cambium layer to support root formation. Woody stems do better with root hormone (again, at the cambium). Basal cuttings will root without...

Why not cut the Vining portion and let the basal do its thing? This is likely the best option if you are concerned with striking nodes and rooting cuttings.
I liked the upper pitchers, so I won't cut it. And there are several basal shoots, so I'll try to cut & root some of its.

For me, it's always about humidity and less about light. I have propogated under lights and in window. In the growroom I have no issues rooting, but in the window I bag he cuttings.

Thanks for the everyone inputs. I'll cut the basal tomorrow. I'll use plastic bag and grow light.

How did it go? 😳

You got any pictures for us?

How did it go? 😳

You got any pictures for us?
I apologize, but I forgot to take some picts when I cut them. But essentially I cut 2 out of 4 basal shoots, wrapped with sphagnum moss, and put them inside plastic bag under growlight. My outdoor are too hot and unstable humidity (day temp 36-40 C, 40-59% RH at day, 70-85% RH at night). I'll post the result after they successfully rooted (in few weeks) .

Last edited:
Back