What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Autopsy: Cause of death?

DrWurm

Californian in DC
Well, I've had a death in the family. My N. 'Hualalai' that I got a few months ago has kicked the bucket. What I want to know is: Why?

When I first got it, it looked like this: http://cpforums.org/gallery/v/DrWurm/Nepenthes/LACPS_December_2008+001.jpg.html

It grew very well for me for a while. It never pitchered, but it seemed vigorous. I recently upgraded to a T8 lighting fixture, and, aside from the seasonal change, that's the only real change I've given it.

Here it is several weeks ago in the back left on my growrack:

Then it stopped growing for a while. Eventually I noticed its leaves were turning brown near the stem as well as its growth point tip.

Today I noticed the stem was rather mushy and decided it was a lost cause. I tore off the growth point and some leaves to get better shots.

Near the top, the inside of the stem was brown and mushy. Any ideas?

Looks like a case of the dreaded black death, though I could be wrong.

I got hungry. :D

Lol, i don't know, maybe root rots or the roots couldn't breathe? ???

It had a large, healthy looking root-ball, so I don't think it was that.

Looks as if the browning is from the shoot out to the leaves. I would look for something in the soil that the plant absorbed and spread to the leaves. If it was anything outside the pot the leaves would have been the first to go. What's your medium made up of? Do you over water?

Carni12 got it on the nail.

It's a pathogen that starts in the roots and travels up the stem to the growth tip. You may notice wilted looking leaves that blacken from the stem outward, initially along the midvein since the pathogen travels in the vascular tissue. There is little you can do even if you spot it early on a long vine since it moves so quickly up the stem. Fortunately it is fairly uncommon and doesn't strike all that often. It seems to hit small plants and weak plants the most, expecially ones that are having root problems or are too wet or in mix that has broken down and become waterlogged and compacted. It is not impossible to see it on large healthy happy plants occasionally though.

Tony said roots :D

Hmm I didn't know of this pathogen. Interesting - but sorry you lost your plant. I wonder if trichoderma is good insurance policy?

I guess I get a gold star, i'm surprised that i got it as I have only seen 2 other cases. Tony thanks for sharing this info with us. Drwurm sorry for the loss!

That looked exactly like my rafflesiana.... maybe i didn't kill it after all xP

sorry homes, thats definitely unfortunate :(

no worries though, there are more plants in need of a home!

Back