What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep Help--2 N. ventricosa x (thorelii x aristolochiodies)

Two N. ventricosa x (thorelii x aristolochiodies) are in a northeast facing window and haven't been pitchering. I looked over the temp chart and my day temps are on the low side, usually around 70F and the nights could definitely be colder, again usually around 70F. Also curious to know how the thorelii portion affects the entire plant, as its range is a bit different--warmer days and nights.

The humidity is currently 47%, I imagine that should go up.

Really want to keep these guys goin as they had beautiful pitchers earlier in the year. I can move them under some T5HOs and add a humidifier if that would help. Still a bit too cold to put them outside each night as it gets into the 40s, but I could see that as an option in a few weeks. Only east and north facing windows in this chicago apartment, not many options for outside.

I'd appreaciate any input.

Pics:

N4Mg89V.jpg

6k3jeE4.jpg

ZJg4MVL.jpg

N3zGmPy.jpg

okay well i wouldn't take my comment to seriously I'm pretty new to this and no where near an expert but i was thinking maybe they are not getting enough light.

These may be suffering from a lack of light, but perhaps more importantly, there is practically no temperature differential in the day-to-night temps. If nights are "around 70F" and the days are similar, the plants are going to suffer. Highland type Nepenthes must experience a temperature shift in the day-to-night cycle of at least 15 degrees F or their metabolism becomes disrupted, resulting in all kinds of ill effects. Ideally, days should reach close to 80F for at least a brief time, and nights must drop below 60F for optimal health.

Maybe you could crack the window at night to drop the temp a bit?

I think you'll be seeing them pick up as summer progresses. The presumed rise in daily temperatures may help recreate the temperature swing that they are currently missing.

You could do two things without sacrificing your window sill growing method.

You could place them in a small terrarium and even that slight difference in temperature and humidity could help them pitcher, or...

you could just let them suffer for now and be happy if they end up pitchering later in the season. I find growing a N. ventricosa on a windowsill just requires that I be patient for a good part of the year and just live without seeing pitchers.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'm going to combine a few ideas here to hopefully improve the situation. I can move them into a terrarium, but that will entail moving them from a north/north east facing window to an east facing window. Wouldn't that be an improvement for light exposure anyway?

I have an ultrasonic humidifier and am gonna pipe that in, probably on a few thirty minute segments throughout the day. Any suggestions here?

I'll crack the window each night to lower the temperature as well. Think all this will definitely help out.

I like your ideas. I am sure your plants will appreciate the extra attention. I find that only very hardy hybrids and or species such as N. ventricosa, N. maxima, N. sanguinea will really do anything on a barren windowsill, however in a terrarium with even just one clamp lamp and a compact florescent bulb, most Nepenthes will do just fine, assuming that your house or the room that they are in gets a bit colder at night. They may even thrive if you simply mist them every so often with a spray bottle.

My room is poorly insulated compared to the rest of my house, so what I do is I shut the door and turn off the heater and usually the temperature drop that is achieved mimics highland conditions. Then again I live in Alaska.

Back