What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need source: Butterfly larvae

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date
I may even screen in the vents & window in my greenhouse, and make it a butterfly house as well as a greenhouse. That would be awesome!
Not really. When your daughter finds one of her painted ladies dead in a D. binata, VFT, N. hamata or ....... well you get the picture.... she won't be happy ....

Eastern tailed blues are a small beautiful little lep that are drawn to moist areas. I usually find them before they're too far gone - but not always (same goes for pearl crescents) :down: :eek:

i found that the best way to get caterpillars was to grow cabbages, then to check them regularly for eggs. that way, you get nice small cabbage whites, and i have several times also ended up with orange underwings.

if you want something more impressive, try to obtain a couple of privet hawk moths. these are stupidly easy to breed, and can simply be released once they have laid eggs. if you do get these, be careful. i let them lay all of their eggs in the tank, and ended up with around 60 caterpillars. you wouldn't believe how much privet they got through once they grew to around the length of my finger.

While truly impressive, they are also supposed to be difficult. Many people struggle w/ them

This is soely due to the fact that thus species needs soil for pupation. Without deep enough soil, the species fails. Most people who attempt that species do not know enough to provide soil so they invariably fail.

To back up all your statements on these moths(coincidentally I had a miniproject up my sleeve). Here ya go.

poly1.jpg

poly.jpg

Beautiful moths. They say if you ever see a Luna moth flying at night you will never forget it.

Back