What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need something to write on plant labels that won't fade

• Thread starter back2eight
  • Start date
Hi all, I have blank plant tags/labels and I need something to write on them with that won't fade. Sharpies fade very quickly. I have tried paint markers, but if you scrape it with your fingernail they scrape off, so that won't work either. Any ideas?

I went the Brother label-maker (the one attachable to a computer) route a few years back, just for the reasons you listed. The markers fade and pencil smears.

The adhesive labels don't fade and the adhesive used should be attractive to even NASA -- to keep those damn insulating tiles from dropping off. The stuff is just indestructible . . .

Ah, 26 feet! One seller has the tape size listed as 0.5" x 26" and I was thinking, that might only be half a dozen labels! lol

Even those pro-printed B & T Garden Supply labels I had ordered could be scraped off with a fingernail.

Ah, 26 feet! One seller has the tape size listed as 0.5" x 26" and I was thinking, that might only be half a dozen labels! lol

Even those pro-printed B & T Garden Supply labels I had ordered could be scraped off with a fingernail.

What you read was, obviously, a misprint. It should have read 26' (think of the Stonehenge gaff in Spinal Tap), which is a common length for those tapes. Most of my labels are around 1" in length -- so 12 labels per foot x 26' = 312 labels per roll . . .

But you figure with each single label you print you use about 3.5-4"... so on a roll of tape (approx 26') you'll probably get about 78-89 labels.
Most of my labels are around 1/2" in length -- so 24 labels per foot x 26' = 624 labels per roll.
.... and my average is probably in between these 2. While I do manage to keep some short - like 0.5" - most probably end up being 1-1.5". With 3 lines of small print on a 0.5" tape - that's a decent amount of info. As Andrew noted above, they don't give the tapes away, but even so, I have no regrets with my purchase ... well - maybe a little - I want the one that hooks up to my computer so I can create different formats and save them. My handheld will only hold 10 in memory.

btw - the tapes are listed as 26.2 feet.

"Who were they? The Druids..." I didn't think 26" could be right.

I was wondering how many labels you could do, now I'll know, cos I just got back from target!

I picked up the Home & Office P-touch 1280 sp which comes with two rolls of tape and the 6 AAA batteries to run it for $39.99. It has a larger display than the "Personal model" but when I tallied it up the cheaper model actually came to more with the separately purchased accessories. I made my first label for my Euphorbia caput-medusae but the default font is huge. I've gotta play around a bit (or read the directions) - the label is longer than my plant tag! lol

I have a feeling there will soon be lots of things posted around the mail shop...:D

LOL, I started something I guess

One thing I notice now that I've got nice text is that I loose 1" on either end of the label, is that normal? Can't I have like 1/4" margins? Even when I choose "narrow" I'm still wasting space.

I made my first label for my Euphorbia caput-medusae but the default font is huge. I've gotta play around a bit (or read the directions) - the label is longer than my plant tag! lol
Use the 'Return' button to make a new line - 1/2" tape holds 3 lines of super-legible tiny print. Even if I don't want three lines of print, I'll hit 'return' after 2 lines (so I get an empty 3rd line - or place a period on 3rd line) so the print shrinks to smallest possible size & uses less tape.
One thing I notice now that I've got nice text is that I loose 1" on either end of the label, is that normal? Can't I have like 1/4" margins? Even when I choose "narrow" I'm still wasting space.
That's one thing I don't like - every time you do a single label and press 'feed' to get it out of the machine you chew up valuable tape. Typically, I try to wait until I need to print a bunch of labels. Then there is very little wasted space between them. A little bit of planning goes a long way ...

Back