What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some ID help

I bought an order of utricularias and many stowaways came along in each of the different plugs that arrived. I need some help with identification now if possible, and to find out how I can separate them or if there's nothing I can do.

Longifolia came with this unknown which has recently started to sprout. Is there a way I can separate them or do I just have to leave them together? It hasn't flowered so I don't know what it is.
longifolia.jpg

Livida has two different types of leaves growing in it. Is this normal or are there two different species in here also?
livida.jpg

lividaflower.jpg

Dichotoma has the same problem.
dichotoma.jpg

Blanchetti also has the same problem. Is the same we need a stowaway and all the different plugs? And is there a way I can get rid of it? The flower the surprisingly similar to livida. Is it possible that there was a mixup and I received two different quantities of livida?
blanchetti.jpg

blanchettiflower.jpg

Bisqmata: I'm not even sure it's there. Instead a whole bunch of stowaway sundews showed up.
bisqmata.jpg

If there is no way for me to separate commingled species, can I wait for them to flower and trying harvest the seed and plant it somewhere else? I'm not sure how to plant seeds though.

I am quite unimpressed with this nursery or whoever you got those from!

It looks like those long slender leaves that you see everywhere are U. graminifolia, but I'm not totally certain. Either way it is a very vigorous Utricularia and it appears to have consumed this collection. You could try separating it? It seems like it would be very difficult though.

If you paid money for these, I would ask for a replacement that does not have weeds all over it.

Haha! I've all but given away the name of the Nursery. You can see it in the label tags in some of my photos.
I've heard everything they ship comes with subulata.

If I try to dig it all up, how do I tell the difference between subulata and say livida or blanchetii so that I know what to keep and what to discard?

I doubt they'd entertain replacements. They ignored me once money was paid for a previous order that arrived 80% dead. But I dont know where else to buy utrics so I had to go to them.

Judging by the shape and size of leave plus the flowers that weed in all your pots looks to me like U. blanchetii. Sabulta will have either yellow flowers or the type of flowers that don't even open (forget the proper name). You might have that in there as well.
The pot that you identify as U. blanchetii has either livida or meriwak in it as well.
U. graminifolia has larger foliage, grows more densely and has different flowers. It is so vigorous that it will take over the pots and choke everything else even carpet moss.

Ones the utrics start to flower pull out the flower stalks (they will come away with some stolon mass and leaves) and plant them in LFS just under the surface. This way you will establish separate colonies.

P.S. Looking at this makes me realize that I should separate all my utric pots with tall enclosures to prevent such cross infestation :)

Last edited:
Hmm so whats flowering now in both pots is actually the blanchetti and not livida?

I thought livida was flowering. I had another stowaway flower previously but the flower was really really tiny, almost like the size of one of the two square gaps on the USB cable connector head.

If I pull out the livida leaves will the stolons follow if I want to save it?

I also have a longifolia and reniformis invaded by this weed. I guess I should just dig those up and tease away all media and stowaway if I can?

I also have a longifolia and reniformis invaded by this weed. I guess I should just dig those up and tease away all media and stowaway if I can?
In general, you can propagate from leaves or flower stalks fairly easily (or clean stolons - if you can get a clean piece) - although you've obviously got to be patient.

You'll never get the invaders away from U. longifolia underground growth (imho). Use a leaf or a tiny segment of plant to start new pots - it doesn't take much. Do several, so at least one will succeed and not be contaminated.

U. reniformis has a really thick underground stolon so you may be able to get a decent piece of the plant without invaders. Again - try several pieces to eventually get one good one.

Your experience is why I tell newbie utric grows to purge their collections of U. subulata & U. bisquamata (weedy form). Once those things get into more than one pot, it's a nightmare to get them out of your collection. Also, even though your obvious invaders do not appear to be either of those species, don't be surprised if there are small colonies of them in some of your pots. When a nursery has such horrible practices as the one from where you purchesed these plants, anything is possible...

Wow what an epic mess. I feel sorry for you.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll start with longifolia and reniformis rescues first. Whats flowering in all my pics? Is it blanchetii? I'm sorta inclined to keep whatever is flowering and discard the ones that arent since my conditions dont seem favorable to them.
Or is Livida flowering in these pics?

Hmm now that i look at it I think might have been wrong actually thinking it was blanchetii . B.T. look at this and compare:
http://cpphotofinder.com/utricularia-livida-365.html or
http://cpphotofinder.com/utricularia-blanchetii-286.html

Your photos don't show the flowers in detail unfortunately. Please take another picture (zoom in) and experts here (not me) will be able to tell quick.

Don't discard what is not flowering. There might be something interesting in there. Just pull the flower stalks and plant them as described previously. Keep the rest for future. If it is not flowering now, it might later.

Last edited:
After looking at the two different species closely, I think these are livida flowers. The top part of the flower, the "hood" is much more pronounced in blanchetti, and it is missing from flowers that I see here.

I tried my best to dig everything up this morning but when I pulled out the flower stalk, believes came, just a little "root" looking structures.

I planted them all into a pot and threw the rest away. I hope something will grow. If not I might have just discarded everything!

I also try to do the same thing to reniformis breaking off some of the largest leaves in the process XD, and longifolia.

I think I've sent them all back by another six months at this rate. But, better now than later when that invasive subulata looking species chokes everything to death.

Back