What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Nepenthes germinatation guid for dimis

Need Nepenthes germination guide for dumis

Hello everyone! I could use some tips and tricks for Nepenthes seed germination. I have some seeds coming to me and I really want thees to work. They are N.lowii trusmadi and some N.Hamata and if things go well the extras will end up here as trade,sails and a few giveaways . I'm just wander what the bet tride and true method is the germinate thees. I was also wondering if anyone has ever tried water germinating Nep seeds. I've never tried in vitro and dont have the supplies to do it. I could use all the help to get thees going that I can get. I've tried looking up old post and got as far as stuff from 2013 befor I gave up and didn't find much at all.

Thanks in advance.:help:

Last edited:
Sow seeds on chopped LFS, kept moist but not wet in a high humidity environment and in temperatures similar to how you would grow mature plants, but a bit less light.

My preferred compost, over the years, is a 2:1 mix of milled sphagnum or peat and horticultural sand. It is far too easy for seed to get lost in long fiber sphagnum; and live moss evil quickly overtake seedlings. I would also encourage the use of a mild fungicide, at the time of sowing, since Nepenthes are especially prone to mold . . .

I've never found fungicide necessary myself, though it wouldn't hurt. Old (dead) seeds will grow fungus no matter what you do, but it shouldn't spread.

I've never found fungicide necessary myself, though it wouldn't hurt. Old (dead) seeds will grow fungus no matter what you do, but it shouldn't spread.

I generally recommend fungicide to beginners, since seed is usually kept under very moist conditions . . .

I generally recommend fungicide to beginners, since seed is usually kept under very moist conditions . . .

A good point. I tried using sulfur powder with my first couple batches of Nepenthes seeds but did not find it very effective. What do you recommend?

A good point. I tried using sulfur powder with my first couple batches of Nepenthes seeds but did not find it very effective. What do you recommend?

Physan has always been my preference. It comes as a concentrate, diluted with water, and is applied through a spray bottle. It's a highly effective fungicide ad will prevent damping off diseases seeds; sooty mold; and a number of other nasties . . .

I would never suggest suphur or copper based fungicides . . .

Last edited:
Ok let me see if I'm going to do this right. Fill pot with soil. Put seeds on top. Spray down with fungicide/water. Put in humility dome under light. Spray every few days to keep moist.

A few thing I did fined is soak the seeds in water and H2O2 for two days and heat the soil first. Any thoughts on that.

I've actually been trying out soaking lately as it's been recommended to me. I haven't been doing it long enough to determine efficacy, but it hasn't appeared to hurt anything yet.

Ok let me see if I'm going to do this right. Fill pot with soil. Put seeds on top. Spray down with fungicide/water. Put in humility dome under light. Spray every few days to keep moist.

A few thing I did fined is soak the seeds in water and H2O2 for two days and heat the soil first. Any thoughts on that.

H2O2 is entirely ineffective in preventing potential fungal contamination; though it has some effect upon bacteria . . .

H2O2 doesn't work as a fungal preventative since it's short-lived but it does work very well as a contact treatment which can help sterilize the seed surface, and is also commonly employed as a germination aid.

H2O2 doesn't work as a fungal preventative since it's short-lived but it does work very well as a contact treatment which can help sterilize the seed surface, and is also commonly employed as a germination aid.

Peracetic acid is far more effective treatment; has a longer period of effectiveness; and can easily be made with household items, such as H2O2 and white vinegar . . .

Back