What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help in selection

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Okay,

I got sick of not being able to grow tropicals tonight and just rummaged through my closet for something to sell to get a terrarium or SOMETHING.

Here's what I found...

A almost completely brand new Gamecube I don't use - With many games, many brand new
A nicked and scratched somewhat Gameboy Advanced SP - many games too

I think I could sell it all with controllers, games, bonuses, and other stuff for $150.00 - 200.00 on eBay, this is just a hunch. It's definitely worth around there though! I also found on Craigslist near me two reptile terrariums, $100 each.

But, these may not be what I want. Can someone suggest a greenhouse OR a REGULAR terrarium I can get in this price-range? (I keep finding precious porcelain cute little designer greenhouses 1 inch by 3 inches for $34.99.)

Can anyone recommend any products? I think it's not against the rules as they are not competitor CPers... hmm...

~Sam :)

Edit: I would actually like a greenhouse of some sort since terrariums are smaller and costs A LOT more, especially when you have to spend hundreds of dollars on lights and extra trinkets when all you have to do is put a greenhouse outside in a sunny spot, get some racks up and put the plants in there and maintain them.

EditEdit: Link That looks okay, but, I'm just worried the outer green tarp thing will block too much light, then again, what do I know?

EditEditEdit: The above probably sucks, maybe a terrarium would work, just please help, I'm an idiot! :(

yeah go to ebay and type in "portable greenhouse" and get one of those. Theyre like $10

You're still going to have to heat that baby in the winter and that's going to cost a bit. Those little mini-indoor greenhouses are kind of hard to light because of the tiers, and they aren't the most stable things in the world. I hate 'em.

Here's what I'd buy if I were you. You will need new lighting but a 75 gallon aquarium with a stand for 175 bucks is an incredibly good deal. I think I paid..... it's been a few years but I want to say about a grand for a new stand (it was wood and not iron) and aquarium.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/352295147.html

Those little mini-indoor greenhouses are kind of hard to light because of the tiers, and they aren't the most stable things in the world. I hate 'em.
Yeah, I have had tons of problems with mine. If your looking for a terrarium I would put an add in the local classified section in the news paper looking for how many gallon aquarium tank you want. You can find really good deals, thats how i got my two tanks.

You're still going to have to heat that baby in the winter and that's going to cost a bit. Those little mini-indoor greenhouses are kind of hard to light because of the tiers, and they aren't the most stable things in the world. I hate 'em.

Here's what I'd buy if I were you. You will need new lighting but a 75 gallon aquarium with a stand for 175 bucks is an incredibly good deal. I think I paid..... it's been a few years but I want to say about a grand for a new stand (it was wood and not iron) and aquarium.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/352295147.html

Indeed, I'll have more money towards winter however thankfully. I actually live closer to Minneapolis, Milwaukee is about a 300-400 mile drive here whilst Minneapolis is about 50 miles, that's where I got the two reptile tanks.

Thanks JLAP and others for all your help.

More or less, in some span of time soon hopefully I'll have some sort of highland chamber. I guess a pickle jar with ripped up tinfoil over the top and a fan blowing at it for air circulation on a windowsill is good enough for my D. falconeri! As it's new leaves are dewy just like every other part of it!

Hopefully I can move my Cephalotus (or not, I may be getting another, I'll just have to test it out!) to the highland chamber in the "Carriage House" or the back of the garage (since my mom thinks Mold will infest the entire greenhouse tier stand and take over the basement and we'll all get infected because of the humidifier), but, this may actually be GOOD because in winter I can replace the cool mist with a warm mist, that way it's actually a normal warmth during the day, and then at night it'll then stop, it'll still be warmer since the old heat is still there but still staying chilled from the coldness of the outside, if the temps get TOO cold I'll have to keep it on low then turn it off and only have a few hours of no-warmth of the humidifer, making a good temp drop! I plan to grow "Highland" Drosera, Cephalotus, highland Nepenthes and take another go at Heliamphora! Since my last one died primarily due to so many different conditions at once. Poor thing!

I'm VERY excited. Now if only I could find someone interested in my super-pack of games and systems who doesn't SAY they live in Eastern England and getting this for their kid who is in West Africa visiting their Father who is at the US Consulate Office!

coincidence but I bought a 75gal glass this morning on craigslist for 50$, couple hour drive to pick it up but my goodness what a price IMHO

and a couple years ago I got an original pewter franklin mint civil war chess set on for 125$, complete and in beautiful condition with all the books and documentation

craigslist is a lot better then ebay sometimes!

Av

Back