What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help for ID'ing this plant

• Thread starter Lucied
  • Start date
I found this plant growing together on old bark with fern, lichen, moss & platycerium in highland conditions. Can someone ID its name so I can give it the conditions to grow or even propagate it? Its been already 2 weeks in my lowland house.

74645cfa_7267_44aa_ade0_7794bf3093c4.jpg

dd168050_7f1d_4c60_8a41_47f49d3603c8.jpg

Thx n regards!

Bonjour

it is a dischidia may be a nummularia specie , a common plant in Southeast Asia

this plant grows on tree trunks 'in situ' , it is not a ant dischidia

then use a tree branch and grow them on ,you can also grow them in a pot ( with peat ) in drooping plant

you can propagate it by stem cutting

in JAVA island they are others dischidia more interesting ( myrmecophilic or not) , some myrmecodia tuberosa 'armata' also a ant plant .

jeff

Last edited:
Thx a lot for the ID and caring info. Will try it ASAP. I think its correct since when I pick it there is a lot of small ants beneath it together with the lichen. I think it will be a good combination to my Nep. Bicalcarata to inviting more ants to cleanup my garden.

Regards!

I’m pretty confident that is pyrrosia piloselloides, which is a very common type of fern in Southeast Asia. I’ve grown several varieties in this family, some button like and some with more oval leaves. Some I field collected in Bali and a few others I purchased from an orchid grower. I have good luck getting pieces started on a little New Zealand sphagnum moss tied to treefern or corkbark. I use a dab of rooting gel for good measure but this may not be necessary. Slow to start but once fully established, they can grow fairly fast. Here are a couple closeup photos I found online.
f50f7b29a1549006c62473d16b327ae8.png
fdd81bc2b61a44be9a38134145548f24.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I did not know this type of fern.

this plant also looked very much like a dischidia nummularia ???

Last edited:
Back