What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii Bario HL Candy Striped seedlings

Although this one is not striped, it is one of the siblings from the Bario seed batch I received 3 years ago.

With its compact pitcher body, I wouldn't hesitate to breed this with one of its striped siblings, when the time comes.

dvg

"With its compact pitcher body, I wouldn't hesitate to breed this with one of its striped siblings, when the time comes."

Sounds like a good idea, dvg. That's a beautiful pitcher!
Cheers,
KPG

Love how squat it is! Beautiful Dvg!

these are turning out mighty fine,nice growing DVG

Thanks guys, yeah this one is quite squat already and yes Corky, these are turning out okay. :)

dvg

I noticed recently that one of these N. veitchii Bario plants was beginning to flower.

When I removed the above plant to take a photo of the flower, I noticed another plant in the tray was also sporting a flower spike.

Having two of these plants revealing sex was unexpected, but then the third plant in the tray turned out to be also showing a flower.

It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but if this turns out to be a female, i'll be making seeds much sooner than I thought. :)

dvg

that is so cool DVG,really hope you are successful,how lucky

Thanks Corky,

It does seem to be a bit of luck that these were all from the same tray and they are all flowering at once.

And if the last flower shown does indeed turn out to be female and it's looking like it could be, then this simultaneous flowering would be truly timely and fortunate.

I've always maintained that I've wanted to breed the Bario N. veitchii seedling strains out to make seed and hopefully with everything seemingly synchronizing together, my wish may very well become a reality sooner than expected. :)

dvg

how old are your plants DVG? & congratulations! mine is still small

The third one looks like a male too unfortunately

Congratulations on synchronize flowering those three! Hope you got some other females about, because these three are all male

Are these plants being grown in sunlight or under supplemental lighting?

Although this one is not striped, it is one of the siblings from the Bario seed batch I received 3 years ago.

With its compact pitcher body, I wouldn't hesitate to breed this with one of its striped siblings, when the time comes.

dvg
Can you post I pic of the whole plant? That pitcher looks great!

Looking awesome DVG, I would agree they are all male. Now you just need to find a few pretty ladies.

-Jeremiah-

Thanks guys,

how old are your plants DVG? & congratulations! mine is still small

Hi Favian, this batch was sown on June 22, 2010, making them almost 3 and half years out from seed.

The third one looks like a male too unfortunately

Hi Kevnep, yes you and the others that clearly spotted the last flower as being male were correct - three males. :)

Are these plants being grown in sunlight or under supplemental lighting?

Hi Mato, these plants are grown under lights in my basement. In about five weeks times we'll be down to 7.5 hours of daylight outside, so the lights definitely help. :)

Looking awesome DVG, I would agree they are all male. Now you just need to find a few pretty ladies.

-Jeremiah-

Thanks JH,

Typical males: out in front early, ready to go.

Meanwhile, the lovely ladies are not too sure that they're even in the mood yet...

...maybe another pitcher, some more vine, a slow dance for sure - but mostly more patience... :)

I'll update again, when I have some good news!

dvg

well the good news is you can freeze the pollen and wait for the ladies,good luck on getting a female to flower,am sure you know all this ,but here is some good advice on freezing pollen http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32555&st=0 sorry if you know all this but thought maybe it could help,others may want to read as this is good step by step pollen gathering and storing

Wow, since the start of this thread you grew 3 of these from seedling stage to flowering maturity in under 2 years. Very nice. I'm with the others, you need to cross that squat veitchii with a very stripe-y veitchii!

Last edited:
Well since no females have yet surfaced, I thought I'd share a pic of one of these that has been camera shy up until now.

15001971472_a87967ce12_c.jpg

Still a small plant, but showing a bit of potential.

15001963792_1a33cb8a1c_c.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

dvg

Great looking plants

That is one of the best N. vietchii I've ever seen. It's absolutely fantastic! :-O

Back