What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata LL coming into bloom

race to the finish line. We just got some cold nights and cold days that will slow mine down. went to extra low gear.....

Lets hope the flowering overlaps...The flower looks like it's almost finished extending but the buds will still have to separate out...
Crossing my fingers on this one

the male ventricosa I have has gone into lower than low gear. still tight cone of flower buds. nothing extending

I think it is time to cool down the female :love: & warm up the male! :poke:
Temps can sometimes slow down or speed up a plants metabolism in this way,
as can longer light periods & maybe get them more in sync. :hi5:
If nothing else, perhaps you could show the male some pictures :-O of some female Nep plants & flowers, :0o:
to get him in the mood! :hug:
:-D

I know the liklihood of the light period affecting the plant in such short a time at this point is 'zilch',
but I would try anything I could! Even praying or positive thinking wouldn't hurt!
Actually, covering the plant with a plastic bag might increase the heat & humidity enough to make a difference,
if cool temps are slowing things down.

Good luck kids!
And here I bought cigars & pink booties already! Bummer!

Thanks for the suggestions Paul!
I did modify some things around which has increased my RH to the mid 70s rather than 50s and the temperatures are slightly warmer.
As for the plastic bag idea, I'm not sure where I would locate a plastic bag large enough to fit this big boy; the plant is almost 4ft in diameter, plus this late in the stage I'm not sure what effect it would really have anyways.

I'll just hope for the best and if it doesn't happen then so be it!

I think the temps will and modifications will do, if not...well, here's to next time!

I would think that just so long as the male blooms/matures first,
the pollen can be stored for a good period of time. (Cold & dry using dessicant & fridge' from what I have seen.)
Is this the only "date" lined up for these two kids?
With all the people with blooming Neps, it seems this is a low period!
Sometimes there is quite a few people here with bloomers!
But as luck would have it, no now!

Well, I will keep my fingers crossed for you both! :water:

Peduncle and pedicels are extended, flowers swollen, pollen should hopefully be setting within the next few days!

One last update:

IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG

So,
Did you ever get a mate for this kid?
Hate to see a nice chance for more Nep seed pass by. :(

Although it is a good opportunity to experiment with long term pollen storage.

Or we could try some ridiculous cross-species experiments...
I have a Dew that is blooming in the greenhouse currently....
:water:

Hey Paul,
Ya, I was able to find him a couple mates. We'll see what turns out in a couple months!

Back